Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for lawn tractor information

I'm looking for lawn tractor information

Specifically if anyone has any personal dealings with the Cub Cadet LTX 1046 VT or LTX 1050 VT lawn tractors. I'd love to have a JD, and I'd love to have a ZTR, but one of these will be pushing things as it is. I like the foot control for speed, but I don't know anything about the B&S Professional Grade engine. So for, Briggs has not answered my request for where it falls in their line up. I wouldn't question if it had the B&S Vanguard engine that so many mowers had a few years ago, but nothing in the sub 2K range seems to have these at this point. I know that Sears has a couple of mowers with the foot controls, but as far as I can tell, these are limited to B&S Intek engines. I haven't ruled out the Husquavarna models with the foot controls either. Just need to see if I can find all of these to look at.
    So, anyone out there with one of these engines? Thanks! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Can not answer you question and I hate it when people do this, but I guess I will just have to hate myself.

If you have a large yard don't write off the ZT mowers too fast. I bought one two years ago and it was the best purchase I have made in many years. It's amazing how fast I can mow this yard. I honestly don't mind mowing now. Still hate weed eaters thought.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

The LTX 10xx VT's have a more powerful engine that the non VT series. In the 1046 model, the difference is 20 hp Kohler engine vs a 23 HP B&S engine. I'm guessing it is the same in the LTX 1050 models. Unless you are cutting hay, I'd reccommend an LTX (no VT) and use the savings for a sun shade Which one depends on how much grass you mow. Get the 50 if more than 2 acres.

Also, Like Jeff said, a ZTR will save you LOTS of time mowing. Go with a tractor if you also need it for towing implements (trailers, rototillers, etc....)
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

Jim,
    I don't know any of your answers, but I use a Troy-built to mow my lawn which is just under a full acre... Mine won't be a flat as yours either... my back yard starts at 5 feet behind the house and goes up hill for 60 or 70 yards... at the back side of the lot, the yard is about 20 or 30 feet higher than the top of the house. Can't recall any of the specs on my tractor right now, but I know it's a Briggs & Stratton engine and it does a good job climbing the hill under power. I like it because of the foot control for speed. I tried the neighbors John Deere when mine was in shop for new drive belt... the JD had a hand lever for speed.. other than being bigger and more powerful tractor, didn't do any better than my little Troy-built Pony and I was a little uncomfortable with the speed control.

Most of my neighbors use the zero turn mowers, but their yards also tend to be flatter than mine...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Thanks guys. Jeff, I started out wanting a ZTR, but the wife said no to the money. And she's right, it just not there. My yard is pretty flat, except for the last 20 feet of the backyard, then that drops about 5' to the fence. This will eventually get terraced. I'll have to do it in a way to still be able to mow.
    I've read of lots of problems with the Kohler engine in the last 2 years, heads or head gasket problems. The B&S ELS series had a run where the air filter cases would warp from the heat, let dirt bypass the filter, and take the engines out. That seems to be taken care of with a new filter assembly design, but they had to warranty a bunch of engines. I'm thinking that the "Professional Grade" is basically the ELS with a new badging, but I was hoping to find someone that knows for sure. Never know who our members work for in their real lives, and the knowledge they have to pass along!
    Several of the Craftsman mowers a couple years ago had Honda and the B&S Vanguard engines in them. Don't see that now.
    Thanks for the insights! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I have a John Deere with the 20 hp B & S engine. Doesn't say what type except that it has a G 4 crankshaft and cast iron cylinder sleeves. It has over 300 hours on it and all I've ever done is change the oil, oil filter, plugs and air filter every year. Oil sometimes twice a year depending on the hours. Oil still looks new when I change it and it doesn't use any. Still have the original battery in it and its 3 years old!

Briggs & Stratton says the Vanguard is a step up from the Intek. See this link.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Jim, yes the Vanguard is their top of the line. It is designed and made in Japan by Diahatsu, which evidently part of Toyota, according to one article I read. Yes, this would be a very good engine, and was easily available on even the consumer tractors about 2 years ago, but not now. The Kawasaki engine would be my first choice, but again, most tractors with those, including the XTRs start at 3 grand. Higher that I'm going to be allowed to go. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!

I had an email from B&S when I got home this evening. Didn't tell me where this engine falls in their line up, so I resent that part of the question. They did send a PDF brochure for the Professional Grade engines. It appears from the picture to basically be the ELS engine. The shroud is almost identical, except there is an added yellow button or decal on the shroud above the left bank. The one thing that might make it different is it does have a chrome plated exhaust valve. That may be the only difference. I can't find a brochure for the ELS online. You'd think B&S would have them on their website to download, but if it's there, I can't find it. Of course, my wife would pop up and say that that would be normal for me. Just thought I'd pass along the info as I got it. I'm sure the next answer from B&S will be the max 3 days again, which probably means next Monday. Maybe I just need to go look at tractors!!! Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 07-02-2009 at 01:55 AM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    The biggest problem that I have seen with the B&S engine is the plastic intake manifold. It tends to warp where the carb mounts onto it. I know that there is one B&S that has a metal manifold and it will fit, but I can't think now what engine it is on. I don't know how much you have to spend or how large your lawn is, but there are some homeowner models now in the ZTR's. They are not built as heavy as the others, but they still do a good job. I would stay away from the borgs because they don't service what they sell and then you are stuck finding someone to repair it and finding parts.