I have to gloat....just a little

Nancy Laird

As you may recall, I was working at the AAW Symposium this past weekend here in Albuquerque, and had the honor and pleasure of meeting and talking with one of the "legends" of woodturning. See if you can decipher the signature:

Tibbetts signature.jpg

Yes, that's Malcolm Tibbetts' signature. He came by and stopped at our booth, and was nice enough to give me his autograph.

IMG_2551.jpg

This is a turning that he had displayed in the gallery. Looks like a compact fluorescent bulb, doesn't it?

Here's how it looks in a dark room:

IMG_2552.jpg

The symposium was fun, and there were some pretty spectacular things shown in the gallery. I got some pictures, but my photography just can't do justice to that art.

Congrats on the signature, Nancy. I'd like to meet Malcolm.

Did you happen to see this piece in the lobby of the Convention Center?

dsc02071_std.jpg

It was done by a recently-departed friend of my mom and dad, Hillard Gerhardt. (He lived on the east side of the Sandias.) He was in his 80s when I met him (not long before I met you and David), but he was quite a character. He was doing segmented stuff 20 to 30 years ago. Had you heard of him before?

Yes, Vaughn, I saw it in several locations---they kept moving it, and finally settled it in the gallery. I have pictures, and one of the specifications page they had displayed with it---on another computer. I'll send them to you by e-mail.

It was a treat meeting Malcolm.

That's great, Nancy. I'd love to have more pics, especially his "spec sheet". He had that hanging in his house, but I never got a photo of it when I was there.

Nancy, thanks for posting the picture. Even if I couldn't decipher his signature, the segmented piece had Tibbetts written all over it. His book on segmented turning is like a bible to segmented turners.

Nancy thanks for the pic's. I got to see some of Malcolm's work first hand and it is just beautiful. I wanted to make it so bad this year but when my 5 yr. old grandson says, "poppa you come, you promise me." We just got home Tuesday.

Nancy,

Where were you? I was in the back of the bus, so to speak, and I was looking for you to come by to say hi :wave:, but you never showed up...:D. What a great show. Really didn'thave the time to catch any of the rotations,but from what I hear, everyone had a great time.

Randy - I was there - all three days - "our" booth was the first one inside the first set of doors into the hall (the set closest to the front doors) - great big brown and yellow Woodworker's sign above the booth and a yellow and green floor. I suspect that if you came in our out those doors, you had to pass right by me.

Vaughn, the picture that you posted shows an information board behind the piece--the two pictures I sent you are of the top and bottom sheets on that board.