Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxes - I don't have a stove

Boxes - I don't have a stove

Toni mentioned a small box that was in progress in the background of another thread of mine. I realized I have sent quite a few of these little odds and ends out into the wild without taking pics; for shame. These are all some variation on a floating panel box, made as a cube and then cut to provide a slip top or a hinged top depending on the preparation.

This one is for some friends we will be visiting over the Fourth. Some shedua scraps with a book matched piece of ash for the top, ash for "knob" and keys. The bottom is milled out of an old pallet slat . A reasonable number of coats of clear de-waxed shellac to let the shedua shine through and a touch of paste wax.

I use a miter gauge on the router table to cut the hinge slots. I put double stick tape on to hold the hinges and allow a test fit. With the hinges in position I mark the screw holes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matchbox F&M 001.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	34085 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matchbox F&M 002.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	34086

This is another "cube" waiting to be rough shaped.

Name:	Matchbox F&M 003.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	34087

My sig and date stamp:

Name:	Matchbox F&M 013.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	34090

And just some more pics . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matchbox F&M 009.jpg   Matchbox F&M 010.jpg   Matchbox F&M 018.jpg  
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Nicely done. Bravo. Like the double stick tape idea.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Nice box Glenn I also like the way your doing the hinges, dbbl side tape and clamping them together what a great idea I have never thought of or seen them done that way, I WILL BE TRYING THAT, thanks for showing pics of your process they will help me in the future for sure

glenn, can you pass along the size of the bit and brand name you used for that raised panel?

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    glenn, can you pass along the size of the bit and brand name you used for that raised panel?
    That was a green Woodcraft 1/4" radius cove bit bought during one of their repeating $5 bit sales. I removed the bearing and used the fence to get a safe deeper cut resulting in this profile on my 3/8" thick material:

Name:	cove.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	34093

You can see the tell-tale fuzzies that I've found from all but the sharpest bits when milling ash (the ash I have is fibrous as all get out). This was the bit's first use BTW .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-01-2009 at 07:01 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Beatiful box Glenn.

Now I understand better why it caught my eye
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Looks great, Glenn. I also like the tape idea for the hinges.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

thanx, I wasnt sure how to get such a small profile for a lid cover, thought Id have to buy some small profile raised panel bit, now I can try some of those tops for the couple of boxes I make, I have 2 cove bits.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    thanx, I wasnt sure how to get such a small profile for a lid cover, thought Id have to buy some small profile raised panel bit, now I can try some of those tops for the couple of boxes I make, I have 2 cove bits.
    When I do raised panels on boxes I just do it on my TS. I made a sled that rides on the fence, move the fence to the side oppisite the way the blade is tipped and do all four side of the panel. This is a save and quick way to do it. I also do my raised panels for cabinates the same way. Next time I do one I take some pix.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

thanx don, dan noren has already posted a tutorial thread about that sled.
    Ive used that for the panels I made, I just wanted to know how he achieved a curve with such a small profile. I didnt think he did that on a TS, I figured the router. I thought there were dedicated bits for that kind of stuff.(really small panels)