Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will this Flat chuck fit any other brand chuck?

Will this Flat chuck fit any other brand chuck?

I bought this bowl chuck http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=20042 from Woodcraft and am now looking to buy the Large Flat Jaws http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...FamilyID=20042. When looking for this it made me wonder...are these made for specific chucks....I mean can I mix brands of chucks? This one only opens to 8" but I have seen other brands that are much larger but did not know if any brand of them will fit on any other chuck?
    This one is probably big enough for what I want but who knows.
    Also while looking for this answer online I read about some chucks being classified as a series "C" class chuck. What other is there and what is the difference.

Tom

EDIT: The jaws shown here are the same brand and do go together...I was just wondering if different brands can be mixed and matched. The more I read about this the more I think the answer must be NO...they need to be of the same brand.
    Last edited by Tom Baugues; 07-01-2009 at 11:11 PM.

I can't be certain, but those look compatible.. Sometimes you get lucky and the components are interchangeable, but generally jaws have to be specific for a chuck body.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

For the most part, jaws are brand-specific to chucks. I do believe one or more of the Grizzly chucks can hold Vicmark jaws, and vice versa, since the Griz chuck is a close copy. I know someone here has some experience with that. Bernie, was it you?

I don't know anything about that Woodcraft chuck, but it looks like it might have shared roots with the PSI Barracuda chucks and the Craft Supplies Apprentice chuck. I wonder if they all are coming from the same Asian factory. If so, the jaws might be interchangeable.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Yep that be me Vaughn. The grizzly $99 chuck is a clone of the Vicmarc VM100. The VM 100 jaws will fit the Griz. I have 3 of them and IMHO they are as good as any other chuck on the market. I have the Vic VM 100 and I would say the Griz is as good. Can't tell ya about the Woodcraft chuck.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks Tom for asking a question i simply took for granted they would fit any chuck. And thanks all who responded you just saved me buying the wrong jaws.
    cheers

Even though one brand may be a clone of another, I believe jaws are fitted to a specific chuck before shipping. The jaws are even numbered to be placed on the same jaw each time or things are not right.
    I would be skeeptikall of playing the switch game.

Frank, I believe the jaws are made in sets, but the jaw numbers really only relate to how the jaws are positioned relative to the other jaws in the set, not the chuck itself. If jaw sets were matched to specific chucks, then buying additional jaws for a chuck would be difficult, if not impossible. I know the chuck has numbers that match up with the jaws, but I suspect that's just so the jaws are installed in the same order and locations each time.

Case in point...I have two different Nova chucks, and both have 50mm jaw sets. I use either set of jaws on either chuck with no bad results, but I wouldn't mix the jaws from one set with those from another. I also have two sets of 35mm spigot jaws, and neither set originally came with a chuck, but both sets work fine on both of my chucks.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Tom - those ARE the flat jaws for the chuck you bought.

Bruce

PS: If for some reason they don't, contact Woodcraft and they'll make it right.
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Shiverdecker View Post
    Tom - those ARE the flat jaws for the chuck you bought.
    Yes I knew that these were the jaws for the chuck that I bought. They only open up to 8' I think. While shopping for these jaws I saw other brand jaws that open more than these and that made me wonder if I could buy a different brand of jaws and they would fit my chuck.

It all does not matter now as I drove to Indianapolis tonight and went to the Woodcraft store and bought the set of jaws that fit my chuck. So now I can finish my bowl this weekend.

On a side note.......the only turning I had done until now was pens. It does not take much wood for pens and it didnt cost very much....however buying wood "chunks" big enough for bowls is very expensive. I'll have to put the word out to everyone I know to save me wood from trees that they take down instead. Oh...I bought some "Anchorseal" tonight as well....just in case.

Tom

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Baugues View Post
    Yes I knew that these were the jaws for the chuck that I bought. They only open up to 8' I think. While shopping for these jaws I saw other brand jaws that open more than these and that made me wonder if I could buy a different brand of jaws and they would fit my chuck.

It all does not matter now as I drove to Indianapolis tonight and went to the Woodcraft store and bought the set of jaws that fit my chuck. So now I can finish my bowl this weekend.

On a side note.......the only turning I had done until now was pens. It does not take much wood for pens and it didnt cost very much....however buying wood "chunks" big enough for bowls is very expensive. I'll have to put the word out to everyone I know to save me wood from trees that they take down instead. Oh...I bought some "Anchorseal" tonight as well....just in case.

Tom
    And don't forget to put away some money for a Chainsaw..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward