Dyed Jacaranda Un-Burned Rim

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This piece of jacaranda was originally going to be some shade (or shades) of green. I didn't like how it looked, but I wasn't able to sand it all out. So, I started playing around with different shades and colors, and in the end, the only color that was going to save it was black. Although there's green and blue dye and white pearl paint, the final look is pretty much...um...black. I was gonna burn the rim, but it wouldn't have shown up very well. :p

It's about 9" by 3 3/4", finished with clear lacquer. I left it satin on the inside and wet sanded/buffed the outside to a high gloss. I had a heck of a time getting any good pics. The gradient background in the light tent didn't reflect anything interesting onto the outside surface, so it looked as flat as the inside. I still may add some coats of black lacquer to get a smoother surface on the outside.

Bowl 072 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 072 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 072 - 03 800.jpg

Comment and critique away -

apparently you show customer base is leaning towards artifical color on your work now.. yu have been making your turning with more color lately... nice shine vaughn

My show customer base has been leaning towards not buying anything lately, so I'm playing around and experimenting with all the plain, light-colored wood I have. :) ;)

Vaughn I think that color looks great. When I saw the heading and saw the colour ( of the bowl in the sun) it reminded me of the actual Jakaranda flower color.

By the way youre not a wood turner simply put youre an artist. Thats one up from simply making curlys.:D:thumb:

I like the contrast you got on that perfect cutline of the edge. Cool and elegant.

Last edited:
Vaughn that is a beauty. I like the color with the pale rim. Really stands out.

Vaughn I thought I was the only one not selling much. Things just aren't moving and I mean at the last craft show I was talking with some of the entrants. They told me that the 60 of them probably didn't sell $1000 worth in 2 days. She said not one of them made their entrance fee's back. Sad.

Thanks, guys.
...how did you keep the dye off the rim? Did you just sand it off, tape it off? :huh:

The rim was originally rounded, and it got all the various dye experiments too. When the bowl was solid black, I decided it needed something for contrast, so I put it in the vacuum chuck and turned the rim down a little bit.