Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Blade Sharpening?

Bandsaw Blade Sharpening?

What are you guys paying, ballpark, to have bandsaw blades sharpened?

I was setting mine up to bookmatch a piece of birdseye maple and using a cutoff of a laminated workbench top as a test piece. Now I have sliced and diced this bench top every which way, I used it for my workbench, and there was no metal anywhere in the top until i got to this piece. Yes, I know..."get a metal detector"...and I probably will soon. Anyway it's a 105" Timberwolf 3 tpi blade that definitely needs a good sharpening.

ed, i simply replace worn out bandsaw blades........even the carbide ones...tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Kind of what I thought, but someone said there was a guy around here that resharpened them and I wanted to check. Thanks!

One more quick question. I have a 14" BS with a riser. Can I use a 5/8" or 3/4" blade on it? The one I dinged up is a 1/2".

I make my own...

Costs around $5 per blade for half inch. Probably more now that steel has gone up a bit. Finish doesn't come out as nice as with a carbide or a woodslicer, but the price is right.

John

ed, the "books" say you can put a 3/4" blade on the 14" saws........i`d stick with the 1/2" 3 tooth it`ll do ya` well.....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

John, $5 does sound nice, but I've got my nose in too many fires as it is. Don't think I want to tackle that project yet!

Tod, Thanks for the advise!

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    I have never had bandsaw blades resharpened, maybe because I use cheap ones. I asked my local sharpening guy and he said it just wouldn't be cost effective to sharpen them.

On the other hand, I attended a seminar given by Michael Fortune and what he does is to take 10 identical blades at a time to his sharpener - apparently then the setup cost is justified. Michael said you can sharpen them once or twice.

Ed, There's a guy over in Mount Holly that is a distributor for Timberwolf blades (Suffolk) His name is Gordon (704-460-9479) He buys Suffolk bands in bundles that are +1000' long and welds the blades you see in the local supply stores. If you've ever been to the woodworking shows or demo day at Woodcraft or Klingspors in Charlotte, he's the guy doing the band saw demo's.

But I don't think he sharpens bands...only welds them. They have a sharpening place in Georgia but I would think it would be more cost effective to buy a new blade.

FYI - I ran a 3/4" Timberwolf on my 14" "old iron" Rockwell. It worked well but I had brand new tires on the wheels and the saw was tuned to run real straight. When I replaced it, I dropped back to 1/2" and it cuts just as well. I don't have the riser.

FYI - Even if I had a metal detector...I probably would forget to use it until the first "accident"

Hey John, Thanks for the info. I'll give the guy a call. I just noticed tonight that you are here in Charlotte too. Are you involved with the Charlotte Woodworkers Assoc? I have gone to a couple meetings and am thinking of joining. I also think some of the guys at NCWoodworker are planning to get together up in Greensboro next month. Don't think I'll make that one but it would be nice to get together with some fellow woodworkers in the area.

I send out the blades for Big Blue, the sharpening cost is about $15, I can get it resharpened 4 or 5 times, but it is carbide tipped

Well worth the time and effort to me, as each blade cost over $100.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward