Received plane from ebay broken

Dan Thibert

I just received the no. 7 plane I won on eaby. The plane looks in good shape except the handle is broken in three pieces. I glued and clamped the handle together, with this hold? should I get my money back? I would have to pay shipping again and I only paid $46 for the plane.
Your thoughts? pics attached

Thanks
Dan

Attachments

• no.7 handle.JPG
    no.7 handle.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 58
  • No.7.JPG
    No.7.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 58
  • handle clamped.JPG
    handle clamped.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 56
  • handle clamped (2).JPG
    handle clamped (2).JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 46
Probably going to break again first time you try and use it.

Would be fun making one of your own though too :)

I have glued Totes and had much success. Making new is a fun activity, as well, Often you can pick up another "junque" plane and exchange Totes.

OK Mike,
Are you trying to open a can of worms:rofl:
How would I go about making a handle for the plane?

I guess having the existing handle is a good start and I woudl just rough cut to the general dimensions and the sand the shape out?

Might be interesting:rolleyes:

The tote is about 1" thick. What would be the best way for me to do this, put two boards together and somehow :rofl: get it to be about 1" or get a piece of wood that is already 1" thick?
I would assume I can go to the local woodery and get a board 1" think!
What wood shoudl I use if I have a choice? Rosewood I guess whould be the best but I am not going to buy a 6' plank for make a tote.
I have some pieces of Maple and oak, but again they are only 3/4" thick.
Your thoughts?

Dan

I just received the no. 7 plane I won on eaby. The plane looks in good shape except the handle is broken in three pieces. I glued and clamped the handle together, with this hold? should I get my money back? I would have to pay shipping again and I only paid $46 for the plane.
Your thoughts? pics attached

Thanks
Dan

Couple of things

Randy Privett makes and sells beautiful replacement handles and totes. I think he may be a member here. If not, I think I can find his email address somewhere else.

Actually - I beleive "you" could make a new one yourself - using the broken one as a template.

You should definately let the ebay seller know of your disapointment - maybe even ive feedback as a complaint. Be careful about the feedback - just be fair.

I sent the seller a message and I will see if he replies. I did get insurance, but I am not sure what that mens in this case. It may have been broke before it was send since the picture did not show the tote well, of it could have been broken during shipment.
It will get fixed one way or the other.

I sent the seller a message and I will see if he replies. I did get insurance, but I am not sure what that mens in this case. It may have been broke before it was send since the picture did not show the tote well, of it could have been broken during shipment.
It will get fixed one way or the other.

Sellers are not always so honest - it would not suprise me.

I looked at Randys web site - I don't think he is the guy.

I will ask around though.

I DO know there is someone that does a "class act"

Do you mide senting the ebay "item number" to me -- PM.

I can't advise on whether to send back or not. Could be a lot of hassle. Most eBayers are honest folks. If you hooked up with a weenie, the return could turn into a nitemare. I'm guessing that your decision will be based on the antique/collectors value of the plane.
As for drilling that hole....I would get a block of desired wood, drill the hole, draw the path on the outside, then shape.

Couple of things

Randy Privett makes and sells beautiful replacement handles and totes. I think he may be a member here. If not, I think I can find his email address somewhere else...

Randy's a member here, but in case he doesn't see this thread, his e-mail address is SuperiorDesign -at- comcast.net. I don't see the the totes and knobs on his website anymore, but they might still be available.

Id say make your own, how cool would that be? use the old one as a template and go for it. You should be able to find a chunk of wood pretty cheap to make one out of.

As for the insurance, since its the sellers responsibilty to put it on your package after you pay for it, sometimes they don't always do it and just pocket your insurance money...ask me how I know :bang:

...I looked at Randys web site - I don't think he is the guy...

I know he used to make and sell them. When you first mentioned it, I thought you might be mistaken, since I'm pretty familiar with his current website. (Long story.) But I vaguely remembered seeing some nice totes and knobs on some toolmaker's site, so I checked the Internet Archive Wayback Machine and looked at some earlier versions of Randy's site, and sure enough, they were there.

QUOTE: "Once I cut out the blank, I secured it into the bench vise and grabbed my round bottom spoke shave to start the shaping process".
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you decide to make the tote, and I can't imagine a wood worker not trying it, do yourself a favor and begin with a piece of wood large enough that you can leave about 6" or so of waste wood at the bottom to be cut off last.

On small carving / shaping projects like this, roughing the shape out completely is usually a mistake made by first timers and they soon discover that waste portion they should have let remain until the very last becomes invaluable when the time comes to clamp / secure for carving / shaping.

Last edited:
I am certainly interested in making my own tote for the plane, the question is finding the time.
Heading to Florida for a week on business and still do not have one door or Drawer fully made for the kitchen.

But then again I am in no rush this is my relaxation (most of the time) :rofl: