Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SHOW us yur finishing room

SHOW us yur finishing room

those of you that have the nicety of having a spot specailly fer finishing. i would like to see how ya got it set up. lighting be it winders or candles? and the layout of the fan or table area and finish storage. am dreaming daily of havn one so am curus of how or what to hav
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

larry, i spray in the middle of the shop.......sawdust-n-all! thank god for lacquer! tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

yeak thats not good

but i dun it this wknd da sam way. i like lacqyer it makes me look better and feel great steve even came over and shared in the trip.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I wish I had a seperate place to finish. Mostly in the shop, once in a while in the garage after I move the cars out.

My finishing room is the shop....with drop cloths over the table saw and washer/dryer!
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    steve even came over and shared in the trip.
    Like takin a trip and never leavin the farm.........
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

I use mostly waterborn products and will finish in my basement shop, When I get to spray I will probably move to the garage unless spraying HVLP creates very little overspray then I might be able to stay in the basement but the furnace & hot water heater are down there.
    Rise above the rest

Larry, I normally just spray in the garage (shop) which limits the winter time finishing I can do. But my son moved out recently (cute girlfriend beats dad anytime) so I'm using his old room. (temporarily)

I got several very large cardboard boxes and with the help of duct tape, made a finishing room in the corner of the bedroom. It's almost completely enclosed. To protect the floor, I'm using a large piece of linoleum that was left over from a kitchen job.

The HVLP has such a low over spray, it hasn't been a problem. I'm using waterborne finishes so the fumes are not bad. And I can keep good control on the temp and humidity.

Son came home yesterday and saw what I did to "his room"....."It's MY finishing room now son!!!! But you can always sleep over there in the corner next to the cardboard box if you need a place to crash"...

Don't want to brag, but...

About two years ago, LOML got tired of shutting down all other projects just to get a project finished, so we tacked on a 12x20' finishing room to the back of our shop. There is a door to/from the shop and another door to/from outside for taking things out of the room without moving back through the shop and taking the risk of nicking something.

First is the north 12' wall, left-hand side as you look at it. Shop rags and a wall-mount hanger for 5 gallons of lacquer thinner. Note the HVLP guns hanging from the wall.
    Attachment 3103

Next, the north 12' wall, right-hand side, with a roll of brown paper hanging on the wall.
    Attachment 3104

Exhaust fan high on the wall
    Attachment 3105

Reel for sprayer air tubing above a work/designing bench - the PVC for the air gun comes through the wall - about a 25' run from the 5hp compressor.
    Attachment 3106

Lower cabinets -right
    Attachment 3107

Lower cabinets - left
    Attachment 3108

Corner cabinet on south 12' wall for storing my craft-show stuff.
    Attachment 3109

Tall cabinet where we store our plaque blanks - outside door to the right, door to the shop on the left
    Attachment 3110

And last but not least, door into the shop.
    Attachment 3111

We have 3 4-foot 2-bulb fluorescent lights, plus two west-facing skylights in the room. The door from the shop is a steel entry door with some good weatherstripping on it, so we don't get a lot of dust into the finishing room (if we remember to keep the door closed). Floor is concrete with rubber interlocking floor matting. Hubby put plywood on the wall above the workbench on the north wall above the cabinets so he could hang his HVLP guns, etc. up there. Workbench is made of some maple gym flooring we were given (but that's a whole 'nother story).

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Wow, Nancy, that's a very nice set up you guys have. I still have to move the cars out of the way in the garage in the winter and outside in warm weather!