speaking of break downs, Updated, (I'm not a happy camper)

Dan isn't the only one with tractor trouble, The 1750 oliver spun a main bearing last month :( Couple of guys recommended a machine shop that the old guy supposedly knows Waukesha engines.

Pulled it out, tore it down, Took the crank, and the block over, had him line bore the mains, Turned the crank .020 under, replaced one questionable looking rod, Machined the rods for new one piece wrist pins, reconditioned the crank ends of the rods. and had him assemble the bottom end and install the pistons and liners.

While he had that, I painted the tub and front axle, $70
bent new tubing for the power steering line,$50
Fixed the tilt steering,$0
2 new tie rods,$130
picked up a new Ceramic button clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing,$350
had the flywheel ground,$50
new seal on the input shaft of the transmission,$8
tore down, cleaned, inspected and reassembled the hydra power with new seals in it. $22
new chain coupler, $102
New thermostat $60
New temp gauge and sending unit $50
oil, filters antifreeze $65

Picked up the engine, brought it home, $2470
Total $3427

put it all together Fired it up and it sounded so nice, ran for 1.3 hours and lost oil pressure :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Pulled the oil filter and found bits of bearing in the filter housing. They came and picked up the engine this morning, I'm still waiting to hear the bad news

Last edited:
Antique tractors are a labor of love and much money.
As much as I liked my old Massey-Harris 44D it was a bottomless money pit. I would have gladly traded you those expenses for what I put into the Massey. Worst experience ever was when the main pump (combo oil and diesel) went out. I e-shopped for weeks before finding a brand new (ca. 1945) one still in the box in Columbia, Missouri, price tag, $1,500.00. Idiot mechanic that installed it did not lube or try by hand first. After all those years the lube inside had seized up. Of course, he ruined it instantly. I was too angry to get mad. Sent it to someplace out east for rebuild at cost of another $800.00. There's more but I'm getting ill remembering. :(

Oh well it ain't nothing but a thing.

Frank, I don't consider a 1750 an antique, yet. Considering theres way to many of them still working on real farms. it is a 1969, around here it has to be a 59 or older to get into antique class at the shows. (oh know!!! that makes me an,, antique :eek::eek::eek:) But your right it is old.

As of right now its practically new though
Paid $2500 for it, $3500 in this project, $600 in rebuilding the hydraulics. What are you going to buy new for $6600? At least I can still go to Agco and get parts for it. For now anyway :rolleyes:

A lawn mower maybe. Besides,, sniff sniff, I love my Ollie sniff :D

Rob
your guess is as good as mine. Hopefully I'll find out Monday or Tuesday

I sure hope is it something they will stand behind, but old machines like that can fool you sometimes and do strange stuff.

Thing is, I agree with you, for the money you have into it, I would hope you would get another 10 or 20 good years out of it, and your are right, for that kind of money, nothing you buy new will last as long, or work as hard.

best of luck! :thumb:

Got the news today :( he's blaming the oil filter housing not being cleaned out properly. which I have no real way to dispute. I can stand there and tell him all day I got it clean but it comes down to my word against his.

I would have figured if it ruined the main bearings, it would have ruined the rod bearings :huh: tell me how the dirt not to stop at the mains and not continue on to the rods :huh:

So as it stands I'll need the crank turned again and new main bearings.

Well the bad news is in, he did blame me. Theres an o ring in the oil filter housing that was bad. According to him it let the oil bypass the filter and thats why it wiped out the bearings. so how does clean oil wipe out a bearing? I still think he had the tolerances too tight. Once it heated up it took out the mains. But what I think and proving it is two different things.

Every one agrees with me. tolerances where too tight, once it warmed up it got tighter and took out the bearings.

I don't know the cost yet,,
Crank had to be turned again thats $450
new overhaul gasket set thats probably 140, another couple hundred for bearings probably.

Plus labor for assembly. He has the COMPLETE engine this time. so if it fails again its on his head. I'll bet its close to $2000

I could have almost done a Cummins conversion for this kind of money.

Here it is July and I'm without a big tractor.
I never did get any field corn in, It's just about to late to put in buckwheat, the spelts are still in field. Looks like the only thing I'm getting in this year will be winter wheat winter Rye and more spelts.

Jonathan

The machinist assembled the Crank, piston, liners. He claims he plasti-gaged it. He line bored the block, to fix the spun main bearings. Reconditioned the rods, Replaced one rod.

I got it back and installed the lifters and cam
and all the of the non rotating parts.

This time he is assembling the whole engine, IF it gives up again, it will be his problem.

Man I hope it works out for you this time. Just been spending some time myself on Olivers. My 770's hydraulic pump quit, tore the valve body all apart, all o rings looked good. Pulled the driveshaft out of it (did a colonoscopy on it!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:), the teeth were pretty sharp on the end of the shaft so didn't go any further. Ended up buying an Oliver 1600, wide front, three point, and put my loader on it. Man it is a sweet tractor! Monday start hauling large squares in. Have a hundred about 12 miles away so hoping one good long day does it. Can haul 18 at a time. Good luck on your deal. But one question keeps lingering in my mind. The bypass in a filter is so the bearings aren't starved if the filter does plug, so how could that be the culprit?:dunno:

That 1600 is a nice tractor Jonathon

Now you see why I'm confused.

Let me quote him
"it only takes a little dirt in the oil to ruin a bearing"

So if thats the truth, how do all those small engines run forever with no oil filter at all?

What about those cars you go to drain the oil and it takes forever for the sludge that was oil to drain out? you know darn well those where bypassing the filter.

At this point I'm at his mercy, If charges me full price my only option would be to sue, I really don't want to go down that road.

I would someday love to own an Oliver wood lathe.

I got an Oliver......
100_1866.jpg

And as far as tractors go, those Olivers were darn good farm tractors and equiptment too. I have a Oliver disk. We almost bought a 1855 new, but opted for a JD as the dealer was close and very good.

Sorry about your luck Robert, I recently had my John Deere 3020 completely overhauled as it had a few issues after 40 plus years. I am lucky it turned out excellent. It is like brand new again.

I hope you can get some help with your problems.

Steve that is just down and out a piece of art!! I would hate to get it all wet and covered with green wood, but I would love every minute of turning on that lathe!!!!!!!!! Yep, green with envy but always short of green when I have seen one of them for sale!:dunno: If it is to be, someday it will work for me, fear I would be to pressed to use it and never get around to doing such a complete and pain staking restoration as yours seems to have had. :thumb:

Last edited: