Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Old School -dairy style

Going Old School -dairy style

My wife has re-discovered the joys of milk in 1/2 gallon Bottles. Byrne dairy is a regional dairy and they still use returnable bottles. Lori found an old carrier somewhere, and now we make trips to the local store about every other day for milk. (three growing boys and they love milk!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old school.jpg   4 pack.jpg  
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 07-04-2009 at 12:51 PM.
    -Ned

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Reminds me of when I was a young lad. The millk bottles then had a cardboard top. The milk man came to the house. If you needed milk you'd set out the rack with as many empties you had and he'd replace them with full ones. Payment was made by putting money and leaving it in an envelope with the emties. You cound't do that in this day and age.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Ned, when my wife and I lived in New York City (Queens) we had a dairy in the neighborhood that carried that brand and the returnable glass bottles. Brings back memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Reminds me of when I was a young lad. The millk bottles then had a cardboard top. The milk man came to the house. If you needed milk you'd set out the rack with as many empties you had and he'd replace them with full ones. Payment was made by putting money and leaving it in an envelope with the emties. You cound't do that in this day and age.
    Actually, you prolly could do it in places where they still had a milk route.

we used to have a milk box in front of our house, like a small aluminum box
    Last edited by allen levine; 07-03-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Yes, I have all the same memories, then my mind shifted to other memories like the "Thunderboat" (unlimited hydroplane) races on Lake Washington. How did I make the leap to that? Bill Brow "The Worlds Fastest Milkman". A local milkman that made good racing the thunderboats. You have to understand that Seattle back in the 50's and 60" was considered very provincial. We did not have any major league sport teams. Our heros were the hydroplane racers. We would drag homemade wooden hydroplanes via a string from our bikes. Our home would always be pulling for the "Milkman" in the Seafair Races on Lake Washington. Funny how the mind twists and turns through the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Hey Ned you brought back memories for me too. Those were the days milk was milk and used to have 2 to three inches of cream on the top at the bottle neck. In SA we used to have aluminum foil tops and instead of money Don we would put these plastic tokens in. Tokens were sold at the Dairy (wow just saying that makes me feel old bet my kids dont know what a Dairy is) in different colors. We could get quart and pint bottles and even small ones for cream. Then later for some reason we could even get orange juice. Then the whole thing went plastic and say no more.

If we want to get green today i dont see why this could not be resurected.
    cheers

We've got a local dairy that is using the glass bottles too. I do believe it has a better taste and like supporting the local business.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I grew up in a REAL SMALL rural town, and after we sold our milk cow to get milk goats for my mothers stomach, Dad and I didn't like the goat milk and we paid the local milk man or milk lady every two weeks. I liked that milk, especially the cream for cereal, but I sure liked the Store bought pasteurized & Homogenized milk that came later during the seasons when the cows would eat certain weeds and make the Raw Milk taste BAD.

Good for you, Ned. It helps support the local economy, and probably tastes better than the chain store stuff. But they're not jars, they're bottles, man.

For a period of my childhood we lived in a rural area in northern New Mexico that had a small local dairy. Milk in the school cafeteria was in small glass bottles, and we had milk delivered once or twice a week to our house, too. Both parents worked, and all of us kids were in school, so the milkman just went in the house and left the milk in the fridge. I think the only time we ever locked the front door was once when we went on a 2-week road trip vacation.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com