Going Old School -dairy style

Ned Bulken

My wife has re-discovered the joys of milk in 1/2 gallon Bottles. Byrne dairy is a regional dairy and they still use returnable bottles. Lori found an old carrier somewhere, and now we make trips to the local store about every other day for milk. (three growing boys and they love milk!)

Attachments

• old school.jpg
    old school.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 4 pack.jpg
    4 pack.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Reminds me of when I was a young lad. The millk bottles then had a cardboard top. The milk man came to the house. If you needed milk you'd set out the rack with as many empties you had and he'd replace them with full ones. Payment was made by putting money and leaving it in an envelope with the emties. You cound't do that in this day and age.

Ned, when my wife and I lived in New York City (Queens) we had a dairy in the neighborhood that carried that brand and the returnable glass bottles. Brings back memories.:thumb:

Reminds me of when I was a young lad. The millk bottles then had a cardboard top. The milk man came to the house. If you needed milk you'd set out the rack with as many empties you had and he'd replace them with full ones. Payment was made by putting money and leaving it in an envelope with the emties. You cound't do that in this day and age.
Actually, you prolly could do it in places where they still had a milk route.

Yes, I have all the same memories, then my mind shifted to other memories like the "Thunderboat" (unlimited hydroplane) races on Lake Washington. How did I make the leap to that? Bill Brow "The Worlds Fastest Milkman". A local milkman that made good racing the thunderboats. You have to understand that Seattle back in the 50's and 60" was considered very provincial. We did not have any major league sport teams. Our heros were the hydroplane racers. We would drag homemade wooden hydroplanes via a string from our bikes. Our home would always be pulling for the "Milkman" in the Seafair Races on Lake Washington. Funny how the mind twists and turns through the memories.

Hey Ned you brought back memories for me too. Those were the days milk was milk and used to have 2 to three inches of cream on the top at the bottle neck. In SA we used to have aluminum foil tops and instead of money Don we would put these plastic tokens in. Tokens were sold at the Dairy (wow just saying that makes me feel old bet my kids dont know what a Dairy is) in different colors. We could get quart and pint bottles and even small ones for cream. Then later for some reason we could even get orange juice. Then the whole thing went plastic and say no more.

If we want to get green today i dont see why this could not be resurected. :)

I grew up in a REAL SMALL rural town, and after we sold our milk cow to get milk goats for my mothers stomach, Dad and I didn't like the goat milk and we paid the local milk man or milk lady every two weeks. I liked that milk, especially the cream for cereal, but I sure liked the Store bought pasteurized & Homogenized milk that came later during the seasons when the cows would eat certain weeds and make the Raw Milk taste BAD.:D

Good for you, Ned. It helps support the local economy, and probably tastes better than the chain store stuff. But they're not jars, they're bottles, man. :rofl:

For a period of my childhood we lived in a rural area in northern New Mexico that had a small local dairy. Milk in the school cafeteria was in small glass bottles, and we had milk delivered once or twice a week to our house, too. Both parents worked, and all of us kids were in school, so the milkman just went in the house and left the milk in the fridge. I think the only time we ever locked the front door was once when we went on a 2-week road trip vacation. :rolleyes: