Thread: Fibonacci Gauge project

Fibonacci Gauge project

My good friend David asked if I could make some parts for a Fibonacci Gauage he found seraching the internet. His church is doing a summer family week. He is using this gauge for the kids to find the golden ratio in nature. It occurs frequently in plants and flowers.

This is from WOOD magazine #173. Found it here

Finding the binding posts took a little luck. I could not find binding posts so I thought I would try pop-rivets. My Google for pop rivets got me to Hanson Rivet and Supply. So Hanson had binding posts buried in their product lines. I was able to get exactly what I wanted.

The trick here is you need 1/8" thick x 1/2" wide strips of wood. I tried this on my band saw and was not happy.

So I then decided to use the table saw, with a 30 tooth glue line rip blade. Using my grippers it worked great. I used a zero clearance blank for dado blades on my SawStop. I removed the riving knife and just had a zero clearance for the blade. It worked GREAT. I had no trouble cutting this very small strips.

I got the 1/8" gripper leg from Peachtree Woodworking

After cutting LOTS of little pieces, I needed to put holes in them. LOTS of holes. So I used my Pinnacle drill press table to set up the repeated holes. This is not an exact process. Lots of trial and error. But I did suceed and it worked great. The really good bits from Lee Valley did a great job.

Next I needed to put points on 3 of the 4 pieces. I created a template and marked all of the pieces. Then used the 6" belt sander to grind away. It worked very well. I really appreciate my dust collection now.

Here is what I ended up with.

And it even looks like the picture.

The really cool part is that it works.

This was a fun few hours in the shop. It's really nice to have all of the tools to do a project that will be fun for the kids.

Here is the web album with a few more pictures

I saw that project in WOOD a while back and thought it was a neat one. Glad it worked for you - they came out great.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

May I brag?
    You also saw it here.
    http://www.familywoodworking.org/for...ead.php?t=3885

Bartee,
    Pretty cool... thanks for the tutorial...
    I had to look and see if you were from a Yankee work shop and a good old Southern boy... your tutorial sounded like Norm Abrams for a minute there
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Chuck,

Good ole southern boy....

Watched way too much of Norm.

And I seem to enjoy the sharing part.

They came out looking great, Bartee. I don't really use it often, but the Pinnacle fence and stop system on the drill pretty sure is handy sometimes. (Mine's the red version of the hardware in a homemade table.)

And just so you know, if you use the 1/4" Grrripper leg to cut 1/8" strips, you have a 1/8" Grrripper leg almost immediately. DAMHIKT. No harm, no foul...carbide cuts right through the plasticm but it probably voids the warranty.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

And just so you know, if you use the 1/4" Grrripper leg to cut 1/8" strips, you have a 1/8" Grrripper leg almost immediately. DAMHIKT. No harm, no foul...carbide cuts right through the plasticm but it probably voids the warranty. [/QUOTE]

nice job bartee
    what are you building today ??

GRIZZLY