Fibonacci Gauge project

Bartee Lamar

My good friend David asked if I could make some parts for a Fibonacci Gauage he found seraching the internet. His church is doing a summer family week. He is using this gauge for the kids to find the golden ratio in nature. It occurs frequently in plants and flowers.

IMG_0678.JPG

This is from WOOD magazine #173. Found it here

Finding the binding posts took a little luck. I could not find binding posts so I thought I would try pop-rivets. My Google for pop rivets got me to Hanson Rivet and Supply. So Hanson had binding posts buried in their product lines. I was able to get exactly what I wanted.

The trick here is you need 1/8" thick x 1/2" wide strips of wood. I tried this on my band saw and was not happy.

So I then decided to use the table saw, with a 30 tooth glue line rip blade. Using my grippers it worked great. I used a zero clearance blank for dado blades on my SawStop. I removed the riving knife and just had a zero clearance for the blade. It worked GREAT. I had no trouble cutting this very small strips.

IMG_1126.JPG
IMG_1128.JPG

I got the 1/8" gripper leg from Peachtree Woodworking

After cutting LOTS of little pieces, I needed to put holes in them. LOTS of holes. So I used my Pinnacle drill press table to set up the repeated holes. This is not an exact process. Lots of trial and error. But I did suceed and it worked great. The really good bits from Lee Valley did a great job.

IMG_1133.JPG

Next I needed to put points on 3 of the 4 pieces. I created a template and marked all of the pieces. Then used the 6" belt sander to grind away. It worked very well. I really appreciate my dust collection now.

IMG_1138.JPG

Here is what I ended up with.

IMG_1141.JPG

And it even looks like the picture.

IMG_1142.JPG

The really cool part is that it works.

IMG_1143.JPG

This was a fun few hours in the shop. It's really nice to have all of the tools to do a project that will be fun for the kids.

Here is the web album with a few more pictures

Bartee,
Pretty cool... thanks for the tutorial... :thumb:
I had to look and see if you were from a Yankee work shop and a good old Southern boy... your tutorial sounded like Norm Abrams for a minute there:D:D:D

They came out looking great, Bartee. I don't really use it often, but the Pinnacle fence and stop system on the drill pretty sure is handy sometimes. (Mine's the red version of the hardware in a homemade table.)

And just so you know, if you use the 1/4" Grrripper leg to cut 1/8" strips, you have a 1/8" Grrripper leg almost immediately. DAMHIKT. :doh: :p No harm, no foul...carbide cuts right through the plasticm but it probably voids the warranty. :D

And just so you know, if you use the 1/4" Grrripper leg to cut 1/8" strips, you have a 1/8" Grrripper leg almost immediately. DAMHIKT. :doh: :p No harm, no foul...carbide cuts right through the plasticm but it probably voids the warranty. :D[/QUOTE]

:eek::eek::D

nice job bartee :)