Thread: Recent restoration

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Recent restoration

This is a desk that I was asked to restore it was built around the turn of the last century. It belonged to a Professor from ASU. It had been his grandmothers and was used in a courthouse during the occupation after wwII. The vaneer was in bad shape and someone had try to patch it up. I replaced a lot of the vaneer. These pieces had a flat finish so in keeping with the orginal finish I kept it flat. I used transfast dye to color match the color and finish with "Old Masters" paste varnish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Secretary.JPG  
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

looks purty sharp don woulda liked to seen it up close..looks like a burl veneer on there.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    looks purty sharp don woulda liked to seen it up close..looks like a burl veneer on there.
    Yup it's a burl and not only that but bookmatched. If you look close you can see that all the way up and down from the top to the bottom drawer the pieces are matched right to left and up and down. That was part of the challange. Some of the vaneer that needed replced so once I found the burl vaneer then I had to do a lot of jigsaw puzzel work to get the new pieces to match the existing pieces. One thing that restoration work teaches is patience.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

That is a nice piece Don must be exciting working on pieces like that, very rewarding. Nice work

That's some impressive skill. thanks for sharing.
    paulh

That looks nice, Don. I have a couple tables here that need the veneer on the tops to be replaced, but I haven't gotten brave enough to tackle them yet.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Aww go for it Vaughn. It's realy not that hard.