Recent restoration

Don Baer

Staff member
This is a desk that I was asked to restore it was built around the turn of the last century. It belonged to a Professor from ASU. It had been his grandmothers and was used in a courthouse during the occupation after wwII. The vaneer was in bad shape and someone had try to patch it up. I replaced a lot of the vaneer. These pieces had a flat finish so in keeping with the orginal finish I kept it flat. I used transfast dye to color match the color and finish with "Old Masters" paste varnish.

Attachments

• Secretary.JPG
    Secretary.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 74
looks purty sharp don:thumb: woulda liked to seen it up close..looks like a burl veneer on there.
Yup it's a burl and not only that but bookmatched. If you look close you can see that all the way up and down from the top to the bottom drawer the pieces are matched right to left and up and down. That was part of the challange. Some of the vaneer that needed replced so once I found the burl vaneer then I had to do a lot of jigsaw puzzel work to get the new pieces to match the existing pieces. One thing that restoration work teaches is patience.

That looks nice, Don. I have a couple tables here that need the veneer on the tops to be replaced, but I haven't gotten brave enough to tackle them yet.