dad's display case

jim capozzi

hi all ,

i haven't posted much in a while , been mostly lurking every now and then :wave:

you can all rest easy , i have been keeping busy with work and other stuff around the house, not enough time in the day :bonkers:

i few weeks ago i was asking dad "what do you want for your birthday?"
he said about the same as what i would say , if i want something i will go buy it . then the light went on in his head :rofl:

he was going to buy a display case for a special baseball jersey hes got . its a cal ripken jr. jersey signed by cal and his brother.

heres what i came up with : a wall mounted case with a couple of extra touches you can't buy off the shelf . on the left side are two pennies one for the year he started playing , one for when he retired , 2368 consecutive games later. on the right side is my mark and a pair of pennies , one up and one down with 2009 on them . magnetic barrels in the case to catch the door when it closes.

the finish is cherry stain , gloss polyureathane , and a coat or two of wax tommorrow. then insure it heavily and send it to dad in florida on monday and hope for the best. comments and critiques welcome as always :)

yes there is clear plexiglass in the door, i left the protective film on it for shipping purposes :p

Attachments

• dads display case 1.jpg
    dads display case 1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 50
  • dads display case 2.jpg
    dads display case 2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 49
  • dads display case 3.jpg
    dads display case 3.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 44
  • dads display case 4.jpg
    dads display case 4.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Cool beans grizzz. It turned out really wonderful. That's a great gift for your dad and I know he'll be very proud to show off his jersey that's hanging in a great display case that his son made. It really came together nicely. Nice touch with the pennies. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

nice job grizz,, and can yu tellus the story of how your dad got the jersy?

hi larry,

the jersey itself is an older model (4 or 5 seasons i think ). he received it from his brother as a birthday present . this last season 08' he was at a tampa bay rays game with another friend that is a big wig of some variety. they watched part of the game from above the 3rd base dugout in a boxseat.
after the 6th inning the buddy says to him , ready to go up in the suite ? he says sure lets go !! they went up to the suite and mingled and tried to watch the game. dad said the view was much better from the box seats above the dugout:rofl:

while he was upstairs he bumped into cal ripken jr. and his brother , got the shirt signed by both guys and a hat from the farm team also signed . then he started looking around online for a display case and was dissapointed at the offerings for the prices :rofl:

and the rest as they say is history :D