Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: veneering question

veneering question

Ok, tackling my first ever re-veneering job, looking for suggestions on a particular brand of contact cement/adhesive to use. I'm good w/ the process, just looking for suggestions on what kind of adhesive to use.

Lets hear them.
    Go ahead and run clown, with those big floppy shoes, you won't get far.

Oh, and as far as a roller goes...will a rolling pin work or are they too broad?
    Go ahead and run clown, with those big floppy shoes, you won't get far.

I use cold press glue by TB. Anything that has a flat edge willl work for getting out the air.

If you're using real veneer - solid wood and not paper backed - contact cement is not the best solution. There are a number of glues that work well with veneer, see Joe Woodworker site for some info.

To apply solid veneer, the best clamping method is a vacuum bag.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

another vote for titebond cold press glue
    what are you building today ??

GRIZZLY

If this is a peice already built, used cuals and a peice of 3/4" ply to press it on. This what I do and it works great. Just take some blue tape and tape the veneer in place so it does not slide as you place the clamps and ply in place.

If you use Al's technique, I suggest something like sheet of plastic between the veneer and the plywood. If glue leaks through the veneer, it'll glue the plywood down. Then when you go to remove the plywood, you can pull out a piece of veneer as you take it off.

If your veneer is very stable and the glue is water based, I've ironed the veneer on. Say you use pva glue - lay your veneer on the surface and then use an iron, starting in the center, to set the glue. Test on a piece of scrap first to see how the veneer takes the heat. You can put a piece of cloth between the iron and veneer to protect the veneer.

This will NOT work on unstable veneers, such as a burl or curly bubinga, but will work fine on regular veneer like mahogany, walnut, etc.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Since you mentioned "re-veneering" the piece, a good choice of adhesive might be hide glue. On older furniture, it's likely to be the glue that was used originally.

If you go this route, you don't need an expensive glue pot or hammer. I use a $9 small crock pot to heat the water and any glass jar for the glue mix. A plastic putty knife works well in place of a veneer hammer.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Forgot to say that wax paper is used between the veneer and the ply. I also wax up the peices of ply. Thanks Mike.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I just use the yellow stuff. When I use culls of a pressure plate I put wax paper down first to pervent glue from sticking everything together.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward