Anybody in the Detroit area want some Cherry?

John Pollman

Howdy all!

A couple months ago we had a wicked storm blow through and took out a BIG tree at the back side of my property. When it came down it took out at least two others in the process. It was quite a mess back there when it was over. Being that it was at the back of my property I wasn't in any hurry to deal with it. Well the time has come to clean it up. Two of the trees that it took out were Box Elder I think but I really didn't think about what the big one was. I went back there a couple hours ago with the saw and started cutting. I took a closer look at the big one and I'm almost sure it's a big Black Cherry! I've got two other HUGE Black Cherries that I want to get down some time soon but this one is on the ground already and I cut some of the smaller pieces which are about 8" diameter and they look like it's in very good shape. I haven't measured it but the biggest diameter of the trunk has to be at least 16" to 18" diameter. If there's anybody here in the Detroit Metropolitan area who's interested drop me a line and we can talk. It may be well worth trying to cut and mill. I'd just like to get it out of here and would hate to see it cut up as fire wood if it indeed is Cherry! Drop me a line if interested. I'm in Rochester Hills which is about 20 miles North of Detroit. I'm about 5 miles East of Pontiac. Only about four miles East of I-75 and University.

Take care

John

I went out and took some pictures. In the first picture the distance between the two vertical red lines is 28'. The diameter of that piece I cut off that you can see in the picture is 8". The diameter of that 28' piece is pretty much 16" along its length. Yes it's a little more at the wider end and a little smaller as it tapers but it's a pretty nice log. There's also a piece about 8' long beyond the vertical line on the right that is 18". That right vertical line is right at a crotch where there's another decent piece you can't see. That 8' piece goes from the crotch to just above where the tree broke. Here's what it looks like...

3691946822_531d56e95d.jpg

3691946982_695a3b3312.jpg

3691947146_bfdd17e652.jpg

Last edited: