WIP daughter's dresser

Travis Porter

Here are a couple of pics of my current project, a dresser for my youngest daughter. Design is similar to something the LOML got from Pier 1 kids with a few changes. The center cubby hole has a door going in place. A friend told me this was actually a "gentleman's chest" as it had a place to store a hat, but I don't know about that.

Couple things I have learned on this project - Never use plywood for drawer faces. What a PITA. Drawer guides - I need to figure out a better way. I was buying a t track with a plastic guide to mount on the drawer from Rockler for awhile, but they break a lot. So I figured I would just make a piece of square stock to guide the drawer. Drawers tilt some, so I have had to add some thin strips to the runners above.

I will probably take a few more pics tonight when I get the kids to bed and get to go out and play in the shop. I hope to finish all my "tweaking" and sanding and be ready to finish tomorrow night. Plan to spray Target WB sealer and Target USL thru my HVLP convertible gun. Wish me luck.

Question - I believe neander style says to use piston fit drawers. Can you do that on really wide drawers? Won't they get cocked/locked in the carcass?

Well, here are the pics. Comments, criticism are always welcome.

Here is a pic of the drawer runner thingys. Like I said, I have to come up with something better.
mounted guide.jpg
Here is a pic with all the drawers in. I screwed up the bottom drawer when I cut the dados for the cock bead and had to remake it from scratch.:doh:
all drawers.jpg
Here is a completed drawer with cockbead and handle installed.
drawer in dresser.JPG

nice lookin dresser travis, how did you attach the cock bead to the drawer frts? looks like you got alot nice toys in that shop. and you definatly know how to use them.

Travis

That is really nice work, and good design! Watch out, LOUL will be doing more "shopping" and bringing home pictures for more projects!

Jay

PS, I don't know if I'd personally try for a piston fit in a dresser, seems like a bit of overkill to me -- not exactly like a fine jewelry box. -- but then my opinion probably doesn't matter because you've completed the piece!