Advice needed

I'm building a simple coffee table out of the last of my butternut. The top will be a glued-up panel of four boards, each about 7" wide. The table will be stained with Minwax dark walnut, with a few coats of satin poly to finish. Two of the boards have small knots, which will look OK, but I think they need to be filled a bit before finishing is complete. I suppose I could do it by applying a few extra coats of the poly, but I wonder if there is a better way. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tony

I have in the pass used epoxy (5 min. kind). It has worked well so far.
Over fill the knot and after hard sand down to level of top and when you paint on the the poly, it will look great. I think knots and nail holes in old lumber give a piece your spending a lot of time to build, some character.

give the knots some ca glue to lock in place then sand and fill in voids with some matching wood filler after staining if its not matched well paint it with some dye to blend in right then go with your top coats.. be sure to use finish on both sides...

CA glue

Based on the reactions I experienced the last two times I got some CA on my hands, I think I may be one of the people who are allergic to something in it. Last time was awful, and almost ER stuff, so I won't try that again. Any other ideas, or should I try to get someone else to do the CA thing for me?

Tony

Go to your local wood supply place, see if they sell any "quickwood", or other 2 part wood epoxy. Most of them are stainable, and you can likely pick up a color matched filler stick while you are there to match your stain color. Fill with the epoxy, sand flat along with your table top, stain it, apply any filler stick you might need to bring the color up right, then seal it and finish it.

Hi Tony,

Do you want to leave the knots looking as natural as possible? From your first post it sounds like you do and you want to fill them in to level them with the face of the boards. If they are at all loose try taking an appropriate size punch and knock them through from the opposite side so they are a little proud. Use CA adhesive to lock them in and finish away. You may have to use a CA filler if there are issues around the edges. Experiment on some scrap first to determine your application schedule (glue, stain, sealer, poly...) in order to get the finish most pleasing to you.

Maybe use some small dutchman patches in case the above doesn't work out to your satisfaction?

Cheers.

If you just want to fill the voids, I'd suggest clear epoxy, then sand flush and finish as usual. If you don't want the clear void look, you can use black epoxy. I use the black epoxy quite a bit on my turned stuff, and it usually ends up looking more natural than if I'd used clear epoxy.

Whatever you do.... Lay off the CA or any other treatment until AFTER you stain, It will lock in the color and make it totally visible. After you stain then use Putty, CA and shavings, Epoxy, Lacquer sticks, or what ever you prefer , then if you sand through the coloryou can always re-apply and touch up. But, if tou put anything stabalizer or CA or epoxy or what ever, it will get in the pores and surrounding grain and lock in the color and then you're (Robertson, Phillips, or Slotted) screwed.

Thanks

Whatever you do.... Lay off the CA or any other treatment until AFTER you stain, It will lock in the color and make it totally visible. After you stain then use Putty, CA and shavings, Epoxy, Lacquer sticks, or what ever you prefer , then if you sand through the coloryou can always re-apply and touch up. But, if tou put anything stabalizer or CA or epoxy or what ever, it will get in the pores and surrounding grain and lock in the color and then you're (Robertson, Phillips, or Slotted) screwed.

Bill: I felt (but wasn't sure) as you advised. The plan is sand, stain, dry, apply black or stained epoxy to knots, dry, sand, touch up as required, sand to 220, poly, poly,poly, cure, rub out, put drink down on it.

Thanks all.

Tony

Last edited:
Sorry I'm late on this Tony, seal knots with Shellac then take the sanding wood dust and mix with a little sealer , I use lacquer sealer with wood dust and apply to the divots. This give me the wood color I need much like famo wood but costume made.