Day off today and i was in the garage with my older son spraying some laquer on a few bowls. One of us hit the work bench a bit to hard and a jar with finish in it (turp/oil/varnish) and a bowl that was sitting on it fell to the ground and broke all over. The bowl was busted into several pc's also and the liquid mess was all over the concrete floor. i swept up the glass and the bowl and my son grabbed a old towel and wiped up the floor. I put a bit of paint thinner on the concrete and he wiped it up with the same old towel.
I had to go inside to take a phone call and came back out and he had straightened up well so we started on the next project of fixing some tile work in the house.
Couple hours later my son had told me that he saw the garbage can outside (sitting outside in the driveway) smoking pretty good and turned the hose on it and put out whatever was burning. I went out to look and the towel had spontaneously ignited. (see pic below).
I would have thought that it would never happen to me because im careful not to leave anything laying around with finish on it like rags and such....i usaually take the rags i use for finish and gloves and soak them in wather and tie them up and disgard them........
What went wrong then ????? I simply forgot about the old towel he was using.....got distracted........ and he didnt know any better............but he does now