bathroom sink

allen levine

quick questions,
If I purchase a new bathroom sink, (it goes on a vanity, small, tiny vanity, tiny bathroom), does it matter what I mount the sink on?
Can I just mount it into the plywood panels of the cabinet?
Do I need to lay a piece of waterproof board(cement board) on top of the plywood and cut a hole through it to lay the sink in?

I see alot of the junk sold at big stores are basically particle board with veneer on top, does it matter what lumber I use for cabinets if I wanted to go with solid wood?There has never been a water problem as in flooding. No tub in room.

You gonna tile the top, or what?

If you're tiling, do that first, then set the sink on top of the tile, using a bead of silicone caulk to seal the sink to the countertop.

no, Im going to build a base cabinet for the sink, just not sure if Im mounting it over the sides of the cabinet, or into the top. Not sure if the sink itself will be the surface, or if Ill purchase a cheap stone top for all cabinets same height.

no, Im going to build a base cabinet for the sink, just not sure if Im mounting it over the sides of the cabinet, or into the top. Not sure if the sink itself will be the surface, or if Ill purchase a cheap stone top for all cabinets same height.

Is this a sink/countertop combo, like they sell at Home Depot, etc. in standard widths like 32", 36", etc?

If so, then you don't need a top on your cabinet - just put it directly on.

Allen if you're using a marble like top with a molded sink you can set it with siclone or latex caulk on the top of the plywood sides and set the top right into the sealant. If you're using a drop in style china sink you'll need to either install a ceramic tile type top or a plastic laminate top would also suit your needs

Allen,
I'd go with plumbers putty especially if you might want to try a few things out. It will seal the edge, but is also removable.

FWIW,
Wes

thanx for the responses, this project was scheduled for second after I finished up the shop reorg.
I need to make a coffee table as a gift for SIL and BIL, and then I was going to tackle the bathroom, but my wife would prefer me taking a break for the rest of the summer, and after that I need to rip down some wall paper and attempt to rip down a small staircase wall and put up a small wall near the bathroom. Then painting and molding, then the vanity for the bathroom.
Like I said in one thread, my time is allotted for the next 10 years as far as woodworking and home improvement work.