Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some info on "Compression Socks"

Looking for some info on "Compression Socks"

Well, I bumped my leg, the bad one, again the other day, just broke the skin, within moments, I had it cleaned and covered with a bandage, but still a few days, later, the ugly white goop of infection

I went t the dermatologist today, I had a new lady doctor, and she was quite concerned that the redness had never gone away in my leg after nearly a year. I got some new meds, and some cream to put on the cut, she was not very concerned about that, it was small and not very deep, but after my last experience, I was not taking any chances.

I wanted to get a prescription from her for some of these compression sock things, custom made ones, as she agrees the problem with my leg is poor circulation, but she did not know about a "Prescription Custom Made Compression Sock" she had never heard of that. I suggested that she send me to a cardiologist or someone who does know about it. She suggested that I just buy a pair of the compression socks at the drug store, well I tried that before, the biggest size they have here is like a size 8, I'm a size 10, not going to work.

I go to see her again next Monday, if she does NOT have any info about the cardiologist, I'm just going to go find one myself, and get some sort of help, as it is obvious to me that the dermatologist is only of use to heal the infection but not the cause of the infection, the poor circulation.

Now to the point of my post, I need to buy some of these compression socks, I really want them like yesterday, so I'm going to order them online, does anyone have a recommendation for me? Online shop and or brand and model?

I ask, as there are a ton of product out there, and some of the prices are radically different, for what looks like the same kind of product, but from different companies.

For example....

Juzo Basic 4201AD Ribbed Sock 20-30 mmHg $32 a pair

Core-Spun by TheraFirm 20-30 mmHg Knee High $33 a pair

Juzo Soft 2001 Knee High 20-30 mmHg $57 a a pair

Jobst for Men Knee High (20-30 mmHg) $60 a pair

Jobst Relief Knee High - Closed Toe (20-30 mmHg) $28 a pair

I would guess that the quality or the durability of the socks comes at a price, but I'd love to hear from anyone with any experience with these types of product, whatever the brand is, and remember, they have to ship overseas.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Stu
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I have no experience with item like that.
    But, I suggest you search for diabetic supplies. I'll betcha just what you need will pop up.
    Be prepared for a shocker on prices.

Women's pantyhose won't work?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I have no experience with item like that.
    But, I suggest you search for diabetic supplies. I'll betcha just what you need will pop up.
    Be prepared for a shocker on prices.
    Most of these are for that application Frank as well as others.

They have some that are just for diabetics, but they are slightly different than what I want.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Women's pantyhose won't work?
    Why, were you going to lend me some of yours
    William Arthur Ward

Stu,

Before you take any suggestions do your research and don't take my word or anyones else's word for gospel including your doctors. You must take an active role in your own health and do the research and make your own conclusions about what is best for your own health.

Are you a diabetic? If not you are way to young to be having these issues. I don't want it to seem that I am trying to lecture you. I am just concerned about your health.

I understand the concept of pressure stockings and I am not sure whom has the best. But I do want to talk about a few other things that might help your situation.

First I understand that it is easier said than done, but loose weight. I lost 80lbs going on 6 years ago which was probably the best health benefit that I have ever done. It improved my blood lipped profile better than any medication could ever do. I will be 43 in about 3 month's and I feel like I am 16 again.

I am believer in proper dietary supplementation and I take both Omega 3's and Red yeast rice. I would suggest taking mega doses of good quality omega 3 supplements. I am a big believer in this. It has done miracles for my 83 year old father. It has much the same effects that Plavix has on blood without the nasty side effects. It is also great for just general inflammation. I understand that in the Japanese culture fish is a way of life but you could not eat enough fish to see all the benefits of large doses of Omega 3 supplements.

Another supplement that has its roots in the far east is Red Yeast Rice. This is a natural statin that does not tend to build up to toxic levels in the liver like the synthetic counterparts. This will help lower LDL levels.

Next thing to consider is if you have other severe circulation issues I would check into intravenous chelation therapy. I know this is a very controversial treatment. I did a paper in college on it and with the research that I did on it I feel it is legitimate as long as you do not have any kind of kidney disease. There is a ton of information on the Internet about it. Everything from scams to questionable research etc. Its hard to figure out whom to believe, so go do some homework.

Good Luck and Good Health

Alan

Come to think of it, many patients in hospitals are given compression socks after surgery. You might check out hospital supply sources.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Here in the states you can get them at any drug store. My wife wear em. how about having your family in Canada send you some.Or if you'd like I'll chech the local Walgreens and see what they cost there.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    She suggested that I just buy a pair of the compression socks at the drug store, well I tried that before, the biggest size they have here is like a size 8, I'm a size 10, not going to work.
    Japanese people got small feet, you know what they say about the size of a persons foot. Personaly I wear a size 11..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Alan, thanks for the info, I'm NOT diabetic, but my father is, and if I don't take steps to avoid it, I will be.

I have lost about 26 lbs since March 2008, but I've got a lot more to go, I've changed my eating habits a lot and I'm also feeling a lot better than I have in a VERY long time. I started the "Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type" approach, (I'll not call it a 'Diet' as it is a whole lot more than that) and being an A-, I've become a mostly vegetarian, only small amounts of chicken and some fish. I take B12, B6, Ginko and Vitamin C now daily, and these have really improved my daily life, I used to have chronic joint pain, since I started the supplements and got off the red meat, the joint pain is gone, just simply not there anymore

Next thing for me is to get off of wheat, my mother is a Celica, and while I tested negative for it, a while back, I notice a big difference if I eat a fair bit of bread etc, compared to when I stick to just rice, at least I'm in a good place to base my diet on rice and tofu!

Frank, I know what you mean about health food stores etc, we have them here too, and the same types of people populate them here. I go there only for some things that the regular supermarket does not carry, like buckwheat flour (I make a mean buckwheat pancake!) or Amaranth, which is a very healthy alternative to wheat. It has no gluten and some amino acids that most grains lack.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward