Facebook dillema

For me, the biggest problem with facebook is the inability to compartmentalize.

What I mean, is that there are things I'm happy to tell my family. There are things that I'm happy to tell my old college buddies. There are things that I'm happy to tell my extended family (cousins, etc). There are things I'm happy to tell my woodworking friends. There are things that I'm happy to tell other special-interest groups that I'm part of. etc.

But there are very few things that I want to tell ALL of those groups. And there is no way that I know of in facebook to post info that only goes to certain groups of friends.

So I really don't use it a lot, and restrict it basically to close family and very close friends. I don't quite see the value in blasting out personal info to huge groups of people that I only know casually.

This morning, in another forum, a couple human resources guys were saying that they use Facebook to check up on potential hires. Meaning any embarrassing info on FB could cost a person a job and career. Yeppers, I'm getting more uncomfortable all the time with the idea that the world can see my seemingly innocent posts. I may delete my membership. Or, I may keep it just to watch what some others are saying.
This is a cyber-age conundrum.

just type your name on google and do a search thats enlightning........ and if anyone can tell me how to get that to not show my info i would be interested in hearun it..

Larry, you are absolutely right. I remember when my son was in medical school, he went to New Orleans for some kind of conference. One day, just randomly I Googled his name. Up came a cyber-conversation he had with a friend. He was saying he ditched the conference and went to the Acme Oyster house and spent the evening eating and drinking beer. I confronted him with that without telling him how I knew. He was totally flummoxed and, I'll betcha, never did anything like that again.

This morning, in another forum, a couple human resources guys were saying that they use Facebook to check up on potential hires. Meaning any embarrassing info on FB could cost a person a job and career. Yeppers, I'm getting more uncomfortable all the time with the idea that the world can see my seemingly innocent posts. I may delete my membership. Or, I may keep it just to watch what some others are saying.
This is a cyber-age conundrum.
I've known this to be true for some time. One must be very careful about what one posts... especially about past employers!:rofl::rofl: