Someone told me I was not posting enough. So here is a little update on the boat development. As I have gone along I have learned that things just don't work the way they should. The stern needed a little attention. In this case I think I made a mistake on my measurements. Sometimes they just don't fit like the computer said it would.
I had assembled the Fan Tail and tested the fit to the boat. I knew there would be some adjustents to be worked out as I went so I was expecting it to not fit perfect. Matter of fact it will always need to be trimmed a little by the builder because of minor variations. I wanted to see if what I had designed looked like I wanted and if I had left enough or to much material for the builder to trim.
Once the assembly was in place and more or less aligned I stretched a piece of t-shirt material over it to simulate the skin. This gives me a very good idea of how it will look when actually skinned.
No big surprises at first. I saw a couple of areas that needed to be trimmed a little closer. There was a bit more stock than I really wanted to leave. Then I noticed that it sat a little low making some very uneven transitions. A bit of looking and double checking to make sure everything was in place and yes, we had an problem. ( Surprise, surprise!)
It doesn't show in the photos so you will just have to trust me on this. I diddled around and raised the whole assembly upwards. Restretched the skin and could see what I needed to do. I had taken to much off the top of the bottom piece. With it in at the proper height I could measure my gap and see how much I needed to add back to my pattern. The lower part fit excellent, it was just not tall enough. Obviously I misfigured when I cut that.
I scrounged around and found the piece I had cut off. Good, that will save me making another one. I mixed up a batch of 5 minute epoxy and just glued the scrap piece back on.
Wrapped it in wax paper and applied a cheap clamp. Came up to eat lunch and post this. When I get back to the shop it should be setup enough to trim and fit to the boat. After I get all that done and I am happy with the fit, I will make a new part and BE SURE to mark the old one as scrap so it doesn't get used again.
I hate to say it but there are several laying around in the scrap pile that for various reasons had to be remade. Since these are going to be sold I want them to be right and to look good. If it was my boat and you would never see the frames I would have used some of them as they were probably. Might have patched a small mistake and just used it. When your looking at it for someone else you tend to be more critical.