Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new generator

new generator

I just finished assembling our new generator. It is a 10K (peak) Gentron I purchased from Sam's. Best deal I could find. With taxes, right about $900.00. Our little 3.5K will now be sold. It was a blessing during January's ice storm but with the tenner we will be able to operate our well and wifey won't gripe about not being able to flush the toilets.
    This is considered a portable unit, but, unless it is stolen, once set up, it stays in one spot outside, well covered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails generator small.jpg  

Congrats, Frank. A generator is one piece of "earthquake kit" that we don't have here, but should.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Congrats, Frank. A generator is one piece of "earthquake kit" that we don't have here, but should.
    What would the shipping to CA be?? Frank has one he wants to unload!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    What would the shipping to CA be?? Frank has one he wants to unload!
    Way too much to justify. Plus a 3.5K is too small for a house. It would be more useful for a get-a-way cabin or camper. My ten K was free shipping from Sam's.

Do you just use extension cords to supply the house/well ?

Looks great Frank, I hope you never have to use it!

I'd set it up and then take them wheels off of it, to make it less "portable!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Good Move, Frank. With the Ice storms, tornados, etc. that have frequented your part of the country in the last few years and all the power lines they have knocked out, I'm sure it will be a real asset for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartee Lamar View Post
    Do you just use extension cords to supply the house/well ?
    Good question. Where it will set is just outside my shop (really, a one car garage under the hillside house). Our main electrical box is on the wall just inside the big door. When we moved here, I had an electrician install a safety cut-off switch to isolate from the main power supply. I'm not interested in frying a repair worker down the line. The switch/box he installed has two lines on it that I bring outside to the generator. For the new generator, I'll have to have an additional 220V line installed. And, because of where the generator will be setting, I may have to add about 4' of extension to the existing lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Looks great Frank, I hope you never have to use it!

I'd set it up and then take them wheels off of it, to make it less "portable!
    We had our small unit for ten years before needing to use. But, we were mighty glad it was there. I guess one could liken it to insurance. You pay the money but hope you never have to use it.
    As for the possibility of theft. Could happen but I believe unlikely. I may chain to a post as a (small) deterrent. It weighs almost 300 pounds and would take a mighty effort to get onto a pick up truck.

Fired up the new generator a few minutes ago. Will let run about an hour to charge the battery.
    Only real downside I have found is that the oil filler is in a very difficult to reach location. Must use a long, automotive type, funnel to get oil in. Then it overflowed with the (reccomended) one liter of first time use oil provided.
    Putting out full voltage.
    I think I'm real pleased and will be in long run.