A piece of Canadiana for my new Bench

What color should i paint my historic vise.

• Red of the Canadian flag

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • White ...well white is white.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Blue......it would be Royal blue not that iam a Royalist:)

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Black...welll black is black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green.....I am not sure what green?

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rob Keeble

Well I was given a piece of Canadian history it appears, by one of my very first Canadian friends. His Dad used to do woodworking and he had a whole shop once upon a time. He had kept the vise and decided that my shop and me would be the best place to have it preserved.

Its a Richards Wilcox vise made in London (Ontario I guess) (Arts town) patented in 1913.

So I used the good old Evapo Rust to clean it up and boy it did a nice job.:thumb: All without scouring.

Now i intend to shine it up and paint it. So I have been thinking given the national colors are red and white and I dont really care for white I thought i would paint it red where it should be painted.

Wish I could find some history on it. Hey Bill Lantry maybe you could help me out with one of your great search methods, I have tried the obvious that is name of the vise and woodworkers bench vice etc with the name.

Anyhow to involve ya all in this painting decision i thought a poll would be in order. I dont promise to follow the outcome but sure would be interested to have your input.

Oh an another thing can you give me some advice on how to finish it. I have the rust off and its bare at present. Where should i go from here with rattle can type spray products?

Here are the pictures of my new piece of history that i being sentimental will cherish for the rest of my life.

Meant to add a note to Stu this is to make you homesick. (LOL)

front view.jpgmechanism.jpgoverall view.jpgside view casting.jpgtop view.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a very sturdy vise - similar to the older Wiltons.

Not one of your choices, but I'd paint it machinery grey. That's likely the color it was originally. Put some nice wood jaws on it.

It'll likely do you for a lifetime, and then your estate can pass it on to yet another generation! :D

Rob,
I'd just put a few good coats of butchers wax on it - it looks good as is!

Wes

Rob I agree with Wes, you've done such a good job cleaning it that I'd leave it like that.

As per the canadiand flag and your patriotism what about a maple leaf ( because it is a maple leaf what is on the flag isn't it) made out of redwood inlaid on your bench top?

C'mon, Rennie. Admit it...you're jealous that YOU don't have a purple DC. :D

Rob, that's a sweet-looking vise. I'll throw in another vote for plain wax. Especially since purple wasn't on the list. :rofl:

I like the inlaid maple leaf idea, too. Bottom line is if you like red, the vise should probably be red. ;)