Ok it must be history month in my shop :)

Rob Keeble

Well Stu I promised pictures of my little piece of plane history now out of the rust removal bath. So here goes. This is a Millers Fall plane and puts me in the club;). I am only cleaning it up for prosterity as it was given to me by my Dad. Wont really use it since after he gave me a Lee Valley one when he visited us in Canada for the last time, I could not go back to something like this. :) When all done i will update this post.

IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

using it again rob would do it more justice than puttin it up on a ledge somewhere,, and the fella before yu will smile again as well. even if its only occassionly, yu need to use it.

I agree, something about handling an old tool and getting the satisfaction of working it, thinking of the makers intentions and the hours it has seen in the past used by component hands. I would find what the piece really likes and preforms well at.

I agree with Larry and Dave. One of the things that I don't like about tool collectors is that many of them never use them.

Restoring a tool is fantastic, but making use of it is even better.
Besides, being a heirloom tool I'm sure that your dad would be happy if you used it. Besides I do think that tools have some sort of soul and they like being well used (not abused) in fact even with the danger of being locked in an mental asylum I must admit that I talk to mine while I'm working.

Toni, I've been known to talk to my tools, but it's usually things that can't be repeated on a family-friendly forum. :eek: :rolleyes: :p