Olive Ash Platter

Doug Miller

I got this piece of wood from Clay at Choice Woods. He was having a sale on some wood that wasn't first rate before he moved to his new location. Wonderful wood, just didn't have the grain that some does. It is now the property of our nephew and his new wife. LOML gave it to them as a wedding present. Anyway, it is right at 12" wide and about 1 3/4" tall. Sanded to 400 dry and then wet sanded between coats of Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal. One of the few pieces that I had no problems with. It went smoothly from start to finish.

Questions and comments are always welcome.

Attachments

• Olive Ash Platter (800 x 600).jpg
    Olive Ash Platter (800 x 600).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 56
Looks great from here, Doug. :thumb: I'm sure it was a well-received gift. I've never heard of olive ash before, but Mr. Google explained it to me pretty well. ;)

Thanks guys. I was just a touch disappointed in the grain at first. Not a lot of contrast. However, the darker lines are getting darker with exposure. Looks really good and getting better all the time. If I hear they don't like it I'll gladly take it back. Should fetch a fair price on the market.

Nike platter, Doug. I really like it. I bought some olive ash pen blanks from Clay when he was here in Albuquerque at the AAW symposium a couple of weeks ago, but haven't turned them yet. Now I'm anxious to see how they turn out.