Thread: Another Day off and More Turning

Palm Springs, Ca

Another Day off and More Turning

Another day off and defintely no overtime available so i thought i would spend part of the day playing with my wood turnings in the garage. My gardner brought me alot of Pine and Mesquite so i have been turning the pine first. Pine seems to start cracking easy even though its sealed with anchor seal so i decided to turn all of it first. My only storage is the garage and here in the desert and the temps get way up there - garage is like a oven during the day. I have not lost that much but what the heck it was free anyway.

Pictures 1 & 2 - Small natural edge turning - bark was comming off so i took it all off and sanded - Wood is pine (junk kind) and analine dye ruby red - sanded lightly and lightly applied green over the red - again lightly sanded, Deft-Acrylic spray gloss applied - 2 coats - now will sit for a couple weeks and probably buff lightly with the PL im trying out.

Picture 3 - Assortment of bowls sitting to dry well - one in the front was sanded thru 600 and 3 coats of Formby's - have never used it before but Vaugh uses it and i thought i would give it a try - no special finish just the Formby's and it does put a nice depth color to a otherwise bland wood. Ill buff it in a couple weeks

Picture 4 - Light coating of analine dye - lightly sanded and first coat of Formby's on it - i think ill put 3 coats total and let sit to dry - trying the Formbys on a few different finishes and so far i like how they are comming out.

Picture 5 - Just pulled from liquid soap soak (1 week in soak - I actually had forgotten it was in the soak) tonight and will finish turn tomm. The bark has stayed on and ill probably add a bit of CA to make sure it does stay put - will finish sand and decide on the finish then - will not use dye on this as it has some nice grain pattern to it - not shown well in the picture. It is a nice big one so im hoping for no cracks or checks.

Picture 6 - Just pulled out of oil soak (1 week in soak) and will let dry out for the next couple weeks now - no crack noted and no movement - sanding the inside was no treat i may add.

Picture 7 - turned green and thin and soaked and wet sanded in the soak over and over - taken out to dry several times and resoaked. Not totally the Ron Kent way but it has translucent areas all over it and really is comming out nice - the picture is the bowl just out of soak tonight and now will let dry for a couple weeks. Undecided on the final finish right now but im sure ill come up with something out of the ordinary......LOL

Picture 8 - Natural edge finished and drying for a couple weeks - Mesquite - left a bit on the thick side and coated with AO 4 coats and lightly sanded with 400 (it had alot of ruff areas on the AO when dried) then 3 coats of semi gloss laquer - will try the PL buff on it in another weeks or so.

Picture 9 - Pine Natural edge turned and soaked in Liquid Soap and put in a bag for a week - very very dried out - remounted today and i decided NOT to use my steady rest which was a mistake - started turning and on the outer edge (where chatter happens) i heard it making a clicking noise so i turned off the lathe and saw it had cracked bad on the opposite ends - so bad a small pie shaped pc came off - Decent grain pattern to it and i could have just thrown it into the designer wood pile but decided to try to save it - using CA i glued the pc back into place - filled the cracks with fine powder black stone i had and soaked them again with CA. The cracks are very thin and small so hopefully they will be hidden well. I Will let dry overnight and will be one of my projects tomm to try to finish (ill post pictures tomm night of the outcome - blown up or saved.....LOL )
    What did i learn - Use the steady rest on this type of wood and wall thickness because it so dry i couldnt believe it, actually became along fragile to touch with any tool - the other thing im going to do which helps in the cutting is to spray it down with soapy water as im turning. I have done this before with very dried out burl etc and it works very well to get clean crisp cuts.
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 07-11-2009 at 05:09 AM.

Goodland, Kansas
    Those are some good looking pieces Dan. Guess you put that overtime to good use. I am in the same boat. When 40 hrs roll around you had better be gone and off the clock. Of course I am only going to worry about that for 173 more days.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Tampa & NC

Another day off and more turning

Hey,now thats a good way to make your day go by.Wished I had known about that soapy water thing,when I turned some VERY dry maple burl a few yrs ago.Oh well we live an learn.Beautifull work there.

Palm Springs, Ca
    Thanks to all...........and i sure do miss the overtime but then again wood turning is a fun hobby...............

ABQ NM
    We're gonna have to start calling you Doctor Mosely, the mad (finish) scientist.

Glad to see you got some good turning time in, even if it meant a smaller paycheck.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan