Help... I need to ID this lathe fast...I might buy it!

Tom Baugues

I just went to look at a lathe a guy has for sale near me. I could not find a model number anywhere. It only has a Rockwell emblem on the front. From spindle to bed gap bottom is 8". It is varible speed and 120 volts. #2 morse taper. He was asking $450.00 but He said if I took it tonight he would take $325.00. Is this worth 325.00? It looks alot like this one.
I found this photo online. It is model 46-450.

Any advise...god or bad?

Tom

Attachments

• Lathe.jpg
    Lathe.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 139
I would say that it is not worth the time or money if you plan to turn bowls. If all you plan to turn is spindles, then it will make you a great lathe. But for bowls, there are mini lathes that will turn larger bowls than this lathe will turn.

But Tom isn't that in the gap? That may get you a 16" platter but remember bowls stick out further than the gap so measure from the bed to the spindle. You are probably talking a 11 3/4" bowl. I am guessing it is 6" from the bed to the middle of the spindle.

Tom, those old Rockwells were workhorses, and often used in school shops. It has a Reeves drive variable speed, but they are good strong machines.

From the picture, it looks like it's missing the handwheel on the tailstock, but that shouldn't be impossible to fix or replace. It may not be an ideal bowl lathe, but for $325, I'd jump on it. It'll turn a lot of good stuff, and that's about what I paid for a used Sears lathe a few years ago. (And I got my money back a year later when I sold it and upgraded.)

Vaughn...the photo was one I just found online that looks like the one that I saw today. I could not find a model number on the one I looked at.
Yes Bernie,/Doug...I guess your right...it is "in the bed gap that is 8" so probably just 6 at the bed.

I guess what I'm trying to decide is if this would be $325.00 better than the craftsman lathe that I have now?

Tom

Doug, that is true. It also has a #2 morse taper instead of a #1. Does that matter much? It also has both a right and left spindle...so if I did want to do a real large bowl, it could be mounted outboard.

Tom

Last edited:
Doug, that is true. It also has a #2 morse taper instead of a #1. Does that matter much? ...

It helps a lot, since most other lathes you would potentially upgrade to will have a #2 taper. Any Morse tapered parts you use on this one would be usable down the road on the next lathe.

Without seeing the actual lathe, that is a hard question to answer :huh: :dunno:

What else comes with the lahte?

Faceplates, chuck, tool rests, tools.....etc?

If it is just the bare lathe, $325 sounds steep too me.

Why the rush, I'd figure with the economy in the toilet, there would be a fair amount of used equipment up for grabs :dunno:

My 2 cents...

I think it really boils down to what you want to do. As already stated, if you want to turn large bowls then this simply won't get it done. The old Rockwell lathes are great machines, but fall short of features when it comes to large facework. I think $325 may be a fair price if it comes with a faceplate and good toolrests, but I would try to get it for $250. If you compared this one to a Rikon, it's WAY better. And even though it's used, it's American made and relatively easy to find parts/accessories for.

Hutch

P.S. As for the lathe that really is a great buy, I would look into a NOVA 1622-44. It's no Cadillac, but it's VERY well featured at an excellent price, especially if purchased on sale (it's on sale a couple times a year for about $900). I own one, and though I still haven't used it that much, I like it's performance so far. I also own an old patternmaker's lathe, but they are hard to come by at cheap prices. They are great for bowl turners, but are huge and usually don't have modern banjos.

Last edited:
Ok, I brought this maching home today. It's in very good condition. There are a couple of handles that have been broken off and replaced by homemade handles, but thats no big deal. I was able to find a model number... it is Rockwell 46-451. I am not able to find much information on this. I find lots of information on the 46-450 but not the 46-451. It has a 1 HP motor with the reeves drive set-up. I have read of all the problems with some reeves drives but I read somewhere about them changing some of the setups to a cable pully setup???? It runs smooth and the varible speed changes very smooth. The center points line up excatly. It did only come with a small faceplate and a shorter toolrest so I will have to look for something about that. The previous owner did give me a hand full of tools but they are nothing to brag about...so I wont.
So does anyone here know about the Rockwell 46-451 lathe? How does it differ from the 46-450?

Tom

Congratulations. I'm sure you will enjoy. :thumb:
Don't get worked up over the Reeves drive. There are many millions of them in use on lathes, drill presses and other devices. And for a good reason. They work and give you a handy variable speed system at reasonable cost. I would suggest you use the Reeves for a while before deciding to make any modifications. Easier for you to mess up the machine than the Reeves drive would.

Congrats, Tom. :congrats: We'll be expecting pictures, you know. :D

Like Frank mentioned, the Reeves drives on the older equipment like your lathe seem to be very reliable and bulletproof. The problems I've read about have all seemed to be on newer equipment. I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts giving you problems. (And even then, it'll probably only need a little lubrication.)

For faceplates, I like the ones Don Pencil makes. If you go to www.donpencil.com and look for the "Seconds and Blems" link in the upper left corner of the page, you'll see some good prices. I've got several of these "seconds" and haven't had any problems with them. (His full-priced faceplates are also very reasonable IMHO.)

Have fun with the new toy. :thumb:

Help... I need to ID this lathe fast,I might buy it

WTG I think you got a pretty good deal if its in good shape,bearings an all.I'm still looking for that mini that will turn a 16" bowl,especially for $325.00 :dunno: :thumb::thumb::thumb: