Thread: Ooooooops

Palm Springs, Ca

Went out to the garage for awhile today to turn or rough out a few bowls. Temp here is in the 110's and in the garage is even a bit hotter but i just push my Jet out into the driveway and started turning. My two obstacles are the hot temps and the wood itself (pine from my gardner) but good enough for practice and goofing around. Put a pc on and turned away 2 keepers, 2 had to many bad cracks they went to the firewood pile - and one i cut a hole thru in the bottom (see below).
    I usually use calipers for wall thickness, a depth gauge made out of wood and a dowel to measure inside depth, or sometimes i just drill a hole to the depth i want. So what went wrong here ? I was turning and thought to myself that i don't need any of these tools and that i could turn the whole thing by feeling my way.............guess i was wrong................
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 07-11-2009 at 10:45 PM.

ABQ NM
    Oops is right. Gotta always keep the inner dimension smaller than the outer dimension.

Seeing the Estwing sitting there...did you do the "hammer test" on that bowl after you took the pics?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
    That's a shame, Dan.
    The only person who hates to hear oops more than a woodturner is a woman at her hairdresser.
    Why has common sense
    become so uncommon?

My Woodwork Site

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by Gord Rock View Post
    That's a shame, Dan.
    The only person who hates to hear oops more than a woodturner is a woman at her hairdresser.
    Or a patient on the operating table....
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Goodland, Kansas
    Well Dan you could do like I did. Hang it on the wall next to the lathe as a reminder. Every time I think one more cut I look up at it.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Kansas City, Missouri
    I guess I don't see the problem? It looks to be a very nice funnel.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Portland, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Or a patient on the operating table....
    Especially if you're in for a vasectomy!
    Jesus was a Woodworker