Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable modems. What do you have, what has worked best?

Cable modems. What do you have, what has worked best?

I've been having trouble with the rented (3.00/month) cable modem we have. Seems to lock up and the only way to get it to work again is to completely unhook it and the router, and let it cool down for about 15 to 20 minutes. I built a box with 2 computer cooling fans in the top to help keep them both cool, and that has helped, but still every 1 to 3 days, it goes down, sometimes multiple times in a day.
    So I'm starting to investigate replacement modems, and save the rental fee. I've read good things about the Linksys CM100. Some people claim they even get faster up and down load speeds. The Motorolla Surfboards have been decent units, but reviews go both ways a little more often than on the Linksys unit. There are others out there. For those of you that have used multiple cable modems over the years, which one do you like and why? Thanks! Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 07-12-2009 at 01:26 AM. Reason: spelling
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I am on my third one at this time. They are provided by Bright House. I don't remember the first 2 very well. One lasted about a year; the other only 3 or 4 months before causing trouble. I have a WebSTAR by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc. at this time. Had few problems with it over the last few years--unhooked and restarted it 3 or 4 times in as many years IIRC. It's part of their ISP service--not listed as rented. If it acts up a few times in a few weeks or months, a phone call will get it replaced.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I have a D-Link I purchased at Best Buy for under $50 - 2 years and not a single problem,
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I've used D Link and Linksys and there both good.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Surprises me about the Surfboard. Here Charter Cable used several brands but the techs said that the Surfboards were the best BY FAR. Rarely had any trouble with them. As far as I know that is all they use supply now.

I had one for ..... 5+ years and very minimal problems, till lightening got it a few weeks ago. Based on that if I had to buy one I would that's what I would buy.

Will your cable company not replace yours? Here, we just walk in and can get a new one.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

My cable company doesn't charge a separate modem rent, so buying one wouldn't save me anything.

The one I have - and have had for nearly five years - is a Surfboard SB5100. It's been rock-solid reliable.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Yes, Jeff, they will replace it...and they have done so 3 times so far. But other than the first one, a Surfboard by the way, all subsequent ones have been open boxes, and therefore, someone else's problem. I know they would hook my current one up, see that it works, and put it back into the pool. It becomes someone else's problem. The Surfboard, back probably some 10 years ago now, was a decent unit. Worked fine for the slow speed we were on then, but just gave up the ghost. These last 2 have not done well at all, and I've just put up with the constant unplugging to cool down situation. I figure Charter is using the cheapest ones they can find, and hoping that there are others on the market that are better units.
    Thanks for the help guys! Jim.

ps: I thought I'd go see what brand this one is...None listed on the unit! What does that tell you??
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 07-12-2009 at 03:06 AM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I've had DSL 10 years+, Never had a problem.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

I have at&t U-verse and they supply a 2-Wire at no cost. It is a big ole beast as it is designed to run your phone, TV, act as a wireless access point and supply your wired internet access. I only run internet but did shut down my personal wireless setup as this unit supports WPA and doesn't generate the heat that my gear does. Other than the size it has been a great unit.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I have att u verse also. We run 4 computers off of it all wireless and 4 tv's. Only problem has been someone cutting the line by not getting the utility company to mark them before they dig.