Cable modems. What do you have, what has worked best?

Jim O'Dell

I've been having trouble with the rented (3.00/month) cable modem we have. Seems to lock up and the only way to get it to work again is to completely unhook it and the router, and let it cool down for about 15 to 20 minutes. I built a box with 2 computer cooling fans in the top to help keep them both cool, and that has helped, but still every 1 to 3 days, it goes down, sometimes multiple times in a day.
So I'm starting to investigate replacement modems, and save the rental fee. I've read good things about the Linksys CM100. Some people claim they even get faster up and down load speeds. The Motorolla Surfboards have been decent units, but reviews go both ways a little more often than on the Linksys unit. There are others out there. For those of you that have used multiple cable modems over the years, which one do you like and why? Thanks! Jim.

Last edited:
I am on my third one at this time. They are provided by Bright House. I don't remember the first 2 very well. One lasted about a year; the other only 3 or 4 months before causing trouble. I have a WebSTAR by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc. at this time. Had few problems with it over the last few years--unhooked and restarted it 3 or 4 times in as many years IIRC. It's part of their ISP service--not listed as rented. If it acts up a few times in a few weeks or months, a phone call will get it replaced.

Surprises me about the Surfboard. Here Charter Cable used several brands but the techs said that the Surfboards were the best BY FAR. Rarely had any trouble with them. As far as I know that is all they use supply now.

I had one for ..... 5+ years and very minimal problems, till lightening got it a few weeks ago. Based on that if I had to buy one I would that's what I would buy.

Will your cable company not replace yours? Here, we just walk in and can get a new one.

My cable company doesn't charge a separate modem rent, so buying one wouldn't save me anything.

The one I have - and have had for nearly five years - is a Surfboard SB5100. It's been rock-solid reliable.

Yes, Jeff, they will replace it...and they have done so 3 times so far. But other than the first one, a Surfboard by the way, all subsequent ones have been open boxes, and therefore, someone else's problem. I know they would hook my current one up, see that it works, and put it back into the pool. It becomes someone else's problem. The Surfboard, back probably some 10 years ago now, was a decent unit. Worked fine for the slow speed we were on then, but just gave up the ghost. These last 2 have not done well at all, and I've just put up with the constant unplugging to cool down situation. I figure Charter is using the cheapest ones they can find, and hoping that there are others on the market that are better units.
Thanks for the help guys! Jim.

ps: I thought I'd go see what brand this one is...None listed on the unit! What does that tell you?? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have at&t U-verse and they supply a 2-Wire at no cost. It is a big ole beast as it is designed to run your phone, TV, act as a wireless access point and supply your wired internet access. I only run internet but did shut down my personal wireless setup as this unit supports WPA and doesn't generate the heat that my gear does. Other than the size it has been a great unit.

I have att u verse also. We run 4 computers off of it all wireless and 4 tv's. Only problem has been someone cutting the line by not getting the utility company to mark them before they dig.

I have a DSL line, with an Actiontec modem... we run two wired computers and one wireless off it, and every so often we have to turn it off for a minute then let it re-sync... not a problem for me, the wife gets frustrated when that happens. I'm thinking it's more a problem at the phone company than here. Mostly happens if we have weather problems.. a bad rain will shut down both the DSL and the satelitte dish.

Yes, Jeff, they will replace it...and they have done so 3 times so far. But other than the first one, a Surfboard by the way, all subsequent ones have been open boxes, and therefore, someone else's problem.

That makes a lot of sense. I am sure a lot of good modems get returned and then intermittent problems don't show up in a quick test. :rolleyes:

I
figure Charter is using the cheapest ones they can find.

I really don' think that is the case here. Probably started out that way. We have had a lot of trouble with Charter but not modem problems. I have had them out here a lot in the past. I have always quizzed the techs and unfortunately meet several of them. Nice guys BTW.

Everyone of them said the Surfboards were the best one they had seen. They had one brand and I don't remember what it was, that they all hated. Said they just didn't last and were always having to replace them. Per of the guys they only used the Surfboards now because they were so reliable. I am just making a guess here, but I would think it would cheaper for them to spend a few bucks more on a reliable modem than to pay for a lot of repair man to go out and replace them.

Good luck on what ever you chose! Just do you homework! ;)

Frank, I looked on the Charter site, and mine is an Ambit also. Does your's get hot? Mine gets hotter than I think it should. Think I'll see if Charter has a Motorola 5120 in the rental pool I can try. See if that has the same problem or not. Thanks! Jim.

Frank, I looked on the Charter site, and mine is an Ambit also. Does your's get hot? Mine gets hotter than I think it should. Think I'll see if Charter has a Motorola 5120 in the rental pool I can try. See if that has the same problem or not. Thanks! Jim.

Until this thread, I never gave much thought to my modem. Didn't even know brand until I looked to post here.
Hot? No, only very slightly warm.
BTW, my cable company is (for now) Suddenlink. They were just purchased by someone else, dunno who. I don't bother worrying about it anymore. By the time I find out who owns the company, it will be sold again.

Motorola "surf board"

Never even thought about it - till I saw this post.

Got it in uhhhhh 2002 or so - I don't remember. WAY before 2004 I know that for sure.

You did say "cable modem" not wireless router - right?