Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Variable Speed on Lathe

Variable Speed on Lathe

I am considering a lathe and of course going through the whole gamet of research. I started thinking....

One of the issues with the Griz and ShopFox lathes is that the low end speed is not low enough. Even on the Nova 1624-44 or Jet 1442, variable speed would be nice.

At the paper mill where I work, we are installing a lot of ABB variable speed drives on equipment. These are 3 phase, 460V. I asked one of our electrical engineers if ABB makes a single phase variable speed 110V. He checked into it. ABB makes single phase, 220V in 1 HP, 2 HP and 3 HP. The price for a 2 HP is about $170 and a reostat for about $12. If you had a tach on the lathe, you could get a digital controller instead of a reostat. I think, no guarrantees, one of these drives would work on a lathe as long as the motor can be rewired for 220V.

Ideally, the motor should be rated for variable speed, but we have not had much trouble with motors with variable speed drives. Most of ours are not rated for variable speed drives.

The drive has the capability of spinning backwards and can run the motor a bit overspeed.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 07-12-2009 at 02:49 AM.
    Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Rich, I used to be an application applications engineer of variable speed drives and have written several paper on using them on lathes. If applied right they can be very nice tools but if done wrong they can be a PIA. I'll try to find some of the info I have psoted previously.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Well I can't find it here so I must have posted it on another forum. I'll re post here when I haven't had a scotch or two..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I responded to you with a PM on several issues.
    The low end speed issue is a matter of cost vs. versatility. Yes, Reeves drives generally have a fairly high low end speed. But, consider that most of those lathes cost a fraction of what a good EVS would sell for. It is a matter of what you want vs. your budget.

I am trying to come up with an option that is lower cost than the OEMs. One issue is that although the input is single phase, the output is 3 phase. You would have to replace the motor with a 3 phase motor. I am not sure, but this probably changes the frame size, which would require motor mount modifications, belt changes (possibly length), etc.... probably not worth it.

The do have an option for DC output, but that requires similar changes as 3 phase.

Oh well, back to the standard commercially available stuff.

I will probably buy a Nova 1624-44 when I can.
    Rich (the Yooper)

duck ditch aka goose creek s.c.(aka lathekiller)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    I am trying to come up with an option that is lower cost than the OEMs. One issue is that although the input is single phase, the output is 3 phase. You would have to replace the motor with a 3 phase motor. I am not sure, but this probably changes the frame size, which would require motor mount modifications, belt changes (possibly length), etc.... probably not worth it.

The do have an option for DC output, but that requires similar changes as 3 phase.

craft supply has them on sale with free bed ext. and free chuck for around 1000.00 plus fright fright will be lower if you can send it to a com loading dock
    thats what i did last week talk to roger at csusa

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post

My Grizzly, and I presume the Jet clone, converts to 3 phase. There is a box full of electronic black magic on the back of the headstock that does this. And, the instruction manual warns "hands off".

Rich,

Another option would be to pick up a DC motor and DC drive. On eBay, I've picked up a number of DC motors and a couple KB Electronics drives to run them. The KBIC Series use a plug in resistor to match the HP rating of the motor. http://www.kbelectronics.com/catalog_chassis.htm That gives a bit more leeway when trying to match parts.

Just food for thought.

Wes

Wes,

I am considering that as an option. I did find this sight, the only company I could find for single phase output:

http://www.invertek.co.uk/product_optidrive_e21.aspx

I have heard of a lot of issues with single phase output.

I agree that either 3 phase or DC is the way to go. I am still looking for a used lathe, but they are far and few between.

Thanks,

Rich
    Rich (the Yooper)

I wound't ever use a DC motor on a Lathe due to the loss of HP. They are constant torque device and Horse power is what you want especialy when turning at low speeds. There are a number of 3 Phase inverter (variable speed) AC Drive that run on 1 Phase.

Here is one source that I've used in the past.
    http://www.driveswarehouse.com/