OK the weekend is over and I 4 1 am glad. So what did U get dun thius week end.

Don Baer

Staff member
I started out with a short list and felt that get a head start on the up comming week. Well so much for the best laid plans od mice and men.
All I wanted to do was finish up a table restoration and build a copuple of simple benches. Well to put it in simple terms I should have taken the weekend off. I needed to plan some 8/4 pine which was no problem then I needed to cut out some bench legs. again no big deal, then I needed to cut the legs to size and cut the proper angles. well thats the problem needless to say for some reason I wasted a whole lot of wood decided to take the weed end off.

So how was U R Weekend.

I started out with a short list and felt that get a head start on the up comming week. Well so much for the best laid plans od mice and men.

...... for some reason I wasted a whole lot of wood decided to take the weed end off.

So how was U R Weekend.

'Bout the same as yours as far as Progress went. Saturday I decided to address the "First Item" on the Honeydo List the LOML so graciously left me, and disassembled the Oak Bench from the Front porch to sand off what was left of the old varnish and stains, and it went so slow (using both a disc and ROS sander), I maybe got 1/6 th of it sanded before the back & wrists gave out, AND it just got too hot to continue. Then I went to work some more on the shop wall above the overhead door to get it ready to paint, and the shop fan decided NOT to run on high, (guess the switch is kerput). After nearly an hour on the scaffold working up next to the roof, I guess the heat got to me and I started to get a little dizzy so I got down before I broke my fool neck and called it quits for the day. Since Sunday was still Hot, I just couldn't muster enough inspiration to even go out there, so I watered half of the plants and headed into the house and the AC.

I can't believe I used to do HARD work all Day outside in the heat with NO problems, but "Advanced" Age :rolleyes: and Heat just DO NOT seem to go well together.:(

So how was U R Weekend.

Well i didn't get as much done as i had hoped. I did get a good start on the desk.As far as the vanity i got the oak plained and the face frame materal riped, but that's about it. I was hoping to get more done on the desk just didn't go as fast as i hoped.O i did watch my driver win at chicagoland. heres a coumple pics of the desk so far.When ever i get it done i'll post on the flat wood site.As i don't built from plans it might look totalty different than this when i'm done.:dunno:
Steve

Attachments

• 010 [800x600].JPG
    010 [800x600].JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 011 [800x600].JPG
    011 [800x600].JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 20
Well i didn't get as much done as i had hoped. I did get a good start on the desk.As far as the vanity i got the oak plained and the face frame materal riped, but that's about it. I was hoping to get more done on the desk just didn't go as fast as i hoped.O i did watch my driver win at chicagoland. heres a coumple pics of the desk so far.When ever i get it done i'll post on the flat wood site.As i don't built from plans it might look totalty different than this when i'm done.:dunno:
Steve

well steve those cherry panels really set of the spalted maple main case and top.. that gonna look sharp when done:):thumb::thumb:

well steve those cherry panels really set of the spalted maple main case and top.. that gonna look sharp when done:):thumb::thumb:

I agree, please post updated pics when finished!! :thumb:

My weekend consisted of lots and lots of box lifting, heavy lifting and a few beers were lifted as well.:rolleyes: I was in KS helping my parents finish the move from there to here in DSM. Will go over tonight and help with the unload as they stayed behind to finish cleaning the house...the unloading always goes quicker doesn't it? :huh:

Aircon at last

Well after a Saterday at my sons Rugby game I got to my shop in the late afternoon. Had glued up my slabs for my workbench and took it out of the clamps. I too thought i would finish the bench this weekend but Sunday the shop was very hot and getting too crowded with stuff everywhere so i decided to clean up and stack up and made space to access the wall where the aircon was to be installed. Then i said i heck after 18 months of it just sitting there and given the heat we are experiencing i said might as well install it. So i did. So much for the bench. But at least i can move around now and this unit cools the shop just fine.
shop aircon.jpg

Well, since you asked, I spent Friday and Saturday in the hospital. Three rather large 9mm Kidney stones decided that the doctors in 1999; ("they're too big to move and cause problems!") didn't know beans! Tuesday night, I got a terrible pain in my side and lower back.

My body does not like me working over my head and after teaching a class in the morning, I did some work on the drop ceiling in the studio. Came home and had to replace a ballast in a light fixture in the basement. The ceiling height is 7'2" which made it awkard, stretching to get it done. Thought that was the source of trouble. (Also forgot what the last stone passes - 2mm, felt like). So, take a pain pill and pretty much just laid around till Friday before going to see a doctor. My regular was booked solid, so I saw a different one.

After a lengthy discussion, he didn't like some of my answers to his questions and my age of 67, high blood pressure, overweight led him to want to have the hospital ER check me out for a possible heart problem. Since Barb was down with the stomach flu, I was by myself.

I drove the 10 minutes to the hospital, where they decided I had Kidney problems, so they kept me over and installed a stint to allow better urinary flow. Got home Saturday night and lazed yesterday. Called the Urologist today and he is out all week. Waiting for a call back as how we're going to proceed.

Net results - didn't get my second platter and bowl done for a commission, didn't get to go to the riverfront market, and had to re-schedule a class.

Not my favorite weekend, but it could have been worse.

Bruce

So how was U R Weekend.

I spent most of Sunday under the house trying to fix plumbing leaks... we live in a 15 year old modular doublewide, permanently on blocks with a cement block foundation around the perimeter.. the entry hole is 18 x 22 inches, the highest point under the house is maybe 26 inches.... there is one place I had to traverse that is 12 inches... I fixed the major leak I went under to fix... a plastic "T" had broken just under the kitchen... all the way across the house from the entry hole... then discovered that the main intake to the house was beginning to leak, along with another line that ran nearby... I worked on the main intake until almost dark... couldn't fix it, so shut down until this morning when I could get some better fittings... when I took the other line apart to put the fittings in, discovered that the line was from the hot water heater to the master bath... got a hot shower under the house, flat of my back, laying between a concrete pillar and the air conditioner duct work... :(:(
fortunately I had turned the water heater off before I started and it had had chance to cool some before I got 30 gallons of hot water dumped in my face.
I just glad it was summer and not winter working under there... getting that wet would have been cold in the middle of winter.
This morning with the new fittings, it took about 45 minutes to fix... and about half that was crawling around from one place to the other.

Otherwise, I had a nice weekend.:D:D:D

Had showings on the house Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, so didn't get anything done around the house other than a bunch of picking up. Hopefully I'll be without a shop ( the current one anyway) soon. I did get down to the Liberty Memorial and got couple of really good pics.

Image00004.jpg
DPP_pan_023.jpg
DPP_pan_026.jpg

Wow nice pictures Darren. Thanks for bringing that site to our attention. I had never heard of it before. Will now remember to look it up if i get down to Kansas city.

Had to settle for the review on Wiki pedia:( for the moment.

Thats quiet a monument. Should have made for an interesting day. :thumb:

Hope the house sells soon. Where you headed if it does?

Wow nice pictures Darren. Thanks for bringing that site to our attention. I had never heard of it before. Will now remember to look it up if i get down to Kansas city.

Had to settle for the review on Wiki pedia:( for the moment.

Thats quiet a monument. Should have made for an interesting day. :thumb:

Hope the house sells soon. Where you headed if it does?

My wife does business with the folks that run the National Archives. I have yet to tour the museum there, only walked around the grounds, however; we get to go do that on the 23rd which should be pretty interesting.