Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: deep, long and narrow mortises

deep, long and narrow mortises

ok i need to make 4 mortise's that are 1 5/16" deep and 5" long and 3/8" wide but i cant get the stock under the drill press... and the spiral cutter i have only cuts a touch over 1" deep.. so you router gurus, how would you set it up to run these..????
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

only thing i can think of at the moment larry, is to go as deep as you can, and take a 3/8" chisel, and tap out the rest.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Hey larry, how about a mortice machine, I got one you can use In other words, I had better get your machine back to ya

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    Hey larry, how about a mortice machine, I got one you can use In other words, I had better get your machine back to ya
    nope yu dont need to hurry with it tom it wont work either. i need to have ten inches of clearance between the table and the bit cant get it with that either.. what i or we need is one of those mulit routers and cheap too.. they are slick looking machines and if i ever got close to one i would be lookun it over real hard..david marks made one look like it was the golden goose...

Hows about..... ?

Set up the router to make a nice/neat mortice (1" deep) Then set up the drill press, drill out the remaining depth using the previously routed mortice as a guide to keep you straight, clean it up with a chisel... ? Might work for me.

my drill press doesnt have ten inches of clearance,, ..have thought on using a spiral bit and the router table to get most of it but the last batch if it would rub on the unmilled portion of the cutter. the cut lenght is only around a a touch over a inch..but i might be able to just use a portable drill and get the last bit of wood out????

I think my work drill press can have a lot of clearance Larry, I will check tomarrow. If not, I know my brother has 5 drill presses, one is an old one that I think has tons of clearance also.

I'd use my PC router, with a 3/8" chuck, and a HSS two flute end mill. The mills I have have a 1" cutting length, so they'd make it without having to rub the shank against the sides of the mortise.

BTW, if you do rum the bit's shank against the mortise walls, it'll burnish them and make a poor gluing surface.

A forstner bit in a drill guide, followed by a sharp chisel would likely cut the mortises just about as fast as setting up a router for it.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

larry,
    could you use a stop dado method on the table saw. plunging down into the cut at the start and stopping the blade at the end. you could remove the first 1" with the router, then that small amount with the dado. then all you would have to clean up is the corners at the start and stop where the curve of the blade couldn't reach. you could even do it in small passes to make it safer.

lemme know if you don't understand what i mean. i guess it depends on the size of the piece you are doing this to.

chris

I take it you don't have a floor model drill press. I would go as deep as I could with the router, use a forstener bit to go the rest of the way and finish with a sharp chisel. shouldn't be a problem since its only 4 mortises.