Thread: I started a small project this evening

I started a small project this evening

I like turning mallets this is the third one I've turned. So far only the head is turned.
    Here is the Oak head setting on the lathe. I'll turn the handle in an evening soon. & show the completed mallet here. This mallet is another shop Mallet.

I posted another oak shop mallet pic & my first was a display mallet I.E Gavel with Purple Heart head & Maple handle & sounding block of Madrona.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mallet head 2.jpg   Turning 22.jpg   Turning 27.jpg  
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Very fine. I see you make them like I do, with a stout handle. I've made some for my Shrine club. The guys who use them really like to bang hard. I don't want anything I make breaking.

Here is the finished Mallet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mallet1.jpg  
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

That came out looking nice, Bart. The handle looks real comfortable. Did you use any finish, or are you just going to let it get a 'shop patina'? Have you ever tried turning an oval handle for mallets like these?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    That came out looking nice, Bart. The handle looks real comfortable. Did you use any finish, or are you just going to let it get a 'shop patina'? Have you ever tried turning an oval handle for mallets like these?
    Vaughn: The handle is ok, I am thinking of turning it down just a tad closer to the bottom end where it flairs. In the past I've used Watco or thinned BLO with Naphtha & a little Poly. I haven't put a finish in this one yet. The mallet with the purple heart head & maple handle just has wax applied at high speed on the lathe.

Do you have any suggestions for a finish?

I would like to turn a oval handle, as I understand it one end would have to be off set in the lathe. I don't imagine it has to be off set very much.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 07-18-2009 at 02:30 PM.