Arts and crafts book rack

Dan Forman

I made this little sliding book rack for my sister. It's based on one I saw on that other forum some time back, but instead of qs oak I used lacewood. I was happy with the choice of wood, as each type of edge brings a different figure pattern for added interest. Closed it has 12.5" capacity, full open 25".

P1010588.jpg

P1010587.jpg

Dan

Last edited:
Wow...that is very cool, Dan! :thumb:

To each his own, but this piece has a lot more character than that of one with QS Oak, IMHO. How was surfacing the lacewood?

The wood makes the shelf stand out, but the design in itself is great, too. My wife is a book nut...just a glimpse and she'd want one! :D

Matt

Thanks everyone. The design was by Don "Mac" McDonnel, over on SMC. He is trying to upload the plan to a thread over there, I will link to it once it 's up there, for anyone who is interested.

Matt---Lacecwood can be challenging, there was a small amount of tearout from jointing/planing. I didn't want to sand and dull the surface of the wood, so I handplaned everything I could, resorting to sanding only for areas that were difficult to reach with a plane. This was one instance when I was glad to have the Veritas low angle jack, with a high angle(40*) blade, and mouth set very tight. It was necessary to take very light shavings which just barely held together in order to get a smooth surface. Needless to say, the blad has to be very sharp as well.

Dan

Very nice job, Dan. I like lacewood a lot...bit of a challenge to work with, but worth it in the long run IMHO. You did great with it, and I'll be keeping the book rack design in mind for potential future projects.

Thanks for sharing it with us. LOML and my son both want one.:) I hope Mac gets the plans uploaded. I think I will make 3 or 4 of them. They look like great Christmas presents. Maybe if I start in January I can finish them by December.

Vaughn---Thanks, too bad it's so open in grain, would make cool cutting boards.

Reg---I think it was about $6 bd ft. But clear and straight grain, no waste.

Reg---Hand plane skills are sometimes hard won, but very gratifying when they work. I'm still very much a work in progress in that regard. I have some vintage planes too, and enjoy using them, but every now and then there is a task the bevel ups can do that the others can't.

Ron---I'll keep my eye out for that and post a link here. They would lend themselves to mass production, would want to cut all of the rails at once, but keep them isolated so that there is continuity of grain for each unit.

Jay---Wish I could take credit for the design!

Thanks to everyone.

Dan

Last edited: