My Largest Commsion so far - Finished more pics for Rob

Don Baer

Staff member
I have the honor of getting a commision to build all of the furishings for the sactuary of a new catholic church. They are just starting constrution so I have time but I'll design and build the alter anbo(pulpit) celebrants chairs, everything. All I know right now is that it will be mission style. I am meeting with the pastor in the morning to go over the details. I'll be posting a bunch of stuff on the design forum then the progress pics here. Maybe even a little turning can you emagine 4 foot candle holders.:D

Last edited:
This may be just the break I need. Just think, every week thousand of folks will be seeing my work.

Not only seeing but actually seating on it! Make sure they feel comfortable or the priest is going to sue you for making his audience diminish!!;):D

Jokes apart. Those are great news Don. You'll be busy for while and we'll be waiting for your posts of the process!:thumb::thumb:

Toni,
I'm not going to make the seating for the congrecatioin that would be to much. only the chairs for the priest, deacon. also the altar, pulpit or ambo as it's called and anything else that will be used in the santuary.

I been looking at designs by stickly, green and green and some of the other Mission style folk just to get some Ideas.

After my meeting this morning I'll start playing with designs in Sketchup.

Congratulations on the commission Don. Really good news to hear. :):thumb:

You made my day. I like good news like this lately. Glad it happened to you.

Best of luck.

So i guess you will be needing a bunch of quarter sawn oak?

Good deal Don. You may get a few attaboys from upstairs for your work so if you smack a thumb....count to 10 :thumb::rofl:
Reg

Well the meeting well. He gave me his shopping list I'll be very busy. He has some ideas so I told him I'd submit some drawing with prices so he can decide. He wants the following Item 1 12 foot high cross. 1 Alter, 1 Pulpet, 2 Chairs, 1 Pulpit, 2 tables and 1 Ambrie which is a cabinate the hold the oils used in various sacrament. Based on the color scheme they will all made from whits oak.

Well the designs are finalised and approved.The following are all of the pieces that I'll be making.
First The Altar. It will be 72" wide x 36" deep x 39" High. I'll turn the chalise and host. This will take a little over 40 bd. ft. of Oak.
Altar 3.1.jpg
Second piece is the Ambo. 50" Hx 24" W x 23" Deep. This will be 25 bd ft of oak.
Ambo3.jpg
third the chairs the big one is 50" tall and the smaller one is 40" tall. about 18 Bd.ft.
chair 2.jpg
Side table one will go between the chairs 24"x24"x 18" h. 7 bd.ft.
Table 1.jpg
Table 2 will be 32"w x 24" d x 26" h. 10 Bd. ft.
Table 2.jpg
Ambrie will be 32" h x 20" w x 16" Deep and about 14 bd.ft.
Ambrie.jpg
Here is an overall picture the cross will be hollow 10 ft. Hi by 5 ft across and 8". It will be hollow and made of 8/4 oak. It will take about 28 bd.ft of oak.
Santuary 2.jpg
All told I'll be using about 150 Bd. Ft of Oak for this project. I'll built the smaller pieces first due to a lack of room and the bigger pieces last. I don't have enough room to store all the pieces so I'll hold off on the big stuff until the church building is at a stage where I can store them there safely. I'll start this build on October since I need o get all of the other work out of my shop so I have room for this project.
I want to thank everyone here for there help and I'll post progress pictures of the project when I do each part.