upgrade

just finished upgrading from a jet 1442 to a 1624 nova
the reason for the upgrade was that i was geting tired of rebuilding the jet .
i have had the jet for almost 3 years and this was going to be the fourth rebuild . yes the jet has a five year warranty but i am just fed up with having to rebuild the reeves drive every six months . this time took it to a jet repair station and they are going to replace every thing in the head stock all pullys, bearings,shaft ,and motor . great service but just tired of fixing it. hope the nova dose better only time will tell . went back to manul belt change as i thought that this will last longer hope that i am right . thanks for leting me rant now back to turning
:wave::wave:
:rofl:

Fred, first thing, "Welcome to the Family!" :wave:

Second, I'm really surprised the Jet needed that much work, did you get a lemon? :huh:

Lastly, I'm, sure you will enjoy the Nova :thumb:

as for a lemon dont think so i think the problem is that the reeves drive is made from potmetal and not castiron as with the old units and i think that the metal is to soft and cant take the wear that castiron can . like i said wmh gave great service as to parts but the parts are not up to par also the reason i got new lathe my old jet will be down till mid sept. took it in mid june
also my turning budy has the same jet as me and his has beed dowm since april cant get good parts to repair it so back to the drawing bord .

I forgot to welcome you to the Family, Fred.
Really, not nice of me to toss zingers before being friendly first. :)
Welcome, and enjoy. Do take a lot of what is said here not too seriously at times.

Chuck will be by shortly to offer the cookies

You'll love the lathe no doubt. You've already seen how nice and smooth it runs. Get some wood on it and you'll really be impressed. I threw a piece of oak crotch on mine first thing. Just wanted to see how stout the motor really was. You've seen the result, but just to remind you I'll post it here.

Congratulations!

Attachments

• Oak from Katrina (800 x 600).jpg
    Oak from Katrina (800 x 600).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 24
I vote for Powermatic, I had them in all the school shops where I taught and NEVER a down time... Abused by kids and errant teachers and still running DAILY :thumb:

Here I sit with Junque and long for one of the old Powermatics... BTW, if it is a "White" Jet, it is junk. Blue Jets are made for industry White is built for hobbyists...