Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The altar V1.0

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

The altar V1.0

I have done the preliminary work on one version of the altar that I am to build. I'll submit version soon.
    Comments and suggestions are welcome.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Hi Don,
    I really like the lines- looks nice (and massive)! Did you say what kind of wood? Are the joints mortise & tenon? The only thing I don't care for is the cross supports underneath- for some reason they say "picnic table" to me. I appreciate that something is needed there but I think if you could somehow get the crosspieces to flow into the rest of the design, it would look better. Perhaps an apron between the legs instead?

don,
    i agree with charlie that the top rail of the end panels needs to be reconfigured.....
    i`d suggest moving it from outside the styles to above them, making it 3/4-1"(3/8-1/2" per side) thicker than the styles.....kinda like a capital of sorts.
    do you have access to a widebelt?
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    don,
    i agree with charlie that the top rail of the end panels needs to be reconfigured.....
    i`d suggest moving it from outside the styles to above them, making it 3/4-1"(3/8-1/2" per side) thicker than the styles.....kinda like a capital of sorts.
    do you have access to a widebelt?
    I agree with Tod on the top rail. Also, how about a through mortise on the stretcher?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Schultz View Post
    Hi Don,
    I really like the lines- looks nice (and massive)! Did you say what kind of wood? Are the joints mortise & tenon? The only thing I don't care for is the cross supports underneath- for some reason they say "picnic table" to me. I appreciate that something is needed there but I think if you could somehow get the crosspieces to flow into the rest of the design, it would look better. Perhaps an apron between the legs instead?
    the wood will be white oak and yes Mortice and tenion.
    As for an apron, I am working on another design that will have an apron. The pastor wanted to see two designs one that was open at the bottom and the other that was closed on the bottom.

I agree with the cross piece, I'll play with the design a little, I like the adea of the through mortice maybe a through mortice with pins.

Keep em comming.

Tod I do have a local cab shop with a wide belt who for $$ will sand anything I need up to 54" wide.th

I
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Hi Don,

I like the design. I agree with the others that a through tenon on stretcher might look nice.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 07-18-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Don I aint no designer but for what its worth I agree with all the comments. "picnic table" was appropriate. However the way Dave has reconfigured the legs in the last picture of his post now that gives it stature specifically if the top cross rail is nice and thick and the legs all feed into it. Just my view.
    cheers

Thanks Richard I agree with the last statement about the top barrers with the legs thiner and morticed into the top barrier. I thought about the strecher being morticed through the Styles. I'm am going to sketch that up and see how it looks.

Don, we're all friends here. You can call me Dave.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 07-18-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Sorry about that Dave I had been working in the shop doing restorations all day and I was very hot and tired. That looks great, can you send me the .SKP file ? I want to play with one little detail a little. BTW how did you get the pics to post. when I converted the drawing to a jpg it was to big to post.

I have one other design I am working on which I hope to post soon.