The altar V1.0

Hi Don,
I really like the lines- looks nice (and massive)! Did you say what kind of wood? Are the joints mortise & tenon? The only thing I don't care for is the cross supports underneath- for some reason they say "picnic table" to me. I appreciate that something is needed there but I think if you could somehow get the crosspieces to flow into the rest of the design, it would look better. Perhaps an apron between the legs instead?

don,
i agree with charlie that the top rail of the end panels needs to be reconfigured.....
i`d suggest moving it from outside the styles to above them, making it 3/4-1"(3/8-1/2" per side) thicker than the styles.....kinda like a capital of sorts.
do you have access to a widebelt?

don,
i agree with charlie that the top rail of the end panels needs to be reconfigured.....
i`d suggest moving it from outside the styles to above them, making it 3/4-1"(3/8-1/2" per side) thicker than the styles.....kinda like a capital of sorts.
do you have access to a widebelt?
I agree with Tod on the top rail. Also, how about a through mortise on the stretcher?

Hi Don,
I really like the lines- looks nice (and massive)! Did you say what kind of wood? Are the joints mortise & tenon? The only thing I don't care for is the cross supports underneath- for some reason they say "picnic table" to me. I appreciate that something is needed there but I think if you could somehow get the crosspieces to flow into the rest of the design, it would look better. Perhaps an apron between the legs instead?

the wood will be white oak and yes Mortice and tenion.
As for an apron, I am working on another design that will have an apron. The pastor wanted to see two designs one that was open at the bottom and the other that was closed on the bottom.

I agree with the cross piece, I'll play with the design a little, I like the adea of the through mortice maybe a through mortice with pins.

Keep em comming.

Tod I do have a local cab shop with a wide belt who for $$ will sand anything I need up to 54" wide.th

I

Don I aint no designer but for what its worth I agree with all the comments. "picnic table" was appropriate. However the way Dave has reconfigured the legs in the last picture of his post now that gives it stature specifically if the top cross rail is nice and thick and the legs all feed into it. Just my view.:):thumb:

Sorry about that Dave I had been working in the shop doing restorations all day and I was very hot and tired. That looks great, can you send me the .SKP file ? I want to play with one little detail a little. BTW how did you get the pics to post. when I converted the drawing to a jpg it was to big to post.

I have one other design I am working on which I hope to post soon.

Don, no worries.

As to posting the images, first, check the Options setting before you export the JPG. Set it to Use View Size. I don't upload images directly to the forum. I prefer to put them in an online album--I used Flickr in this case--and then link to them from the forum post.

E-mail sent.

Last edited:
Hello Don,

I like the look of the mission style for this commission. For me your altar looks to much like a table. Did the pastor tell you that the altar is the centerpiece of a Catholic church? This is where the bread and wine literally change into the blood and body of Christ. The scale of most altars usually reflect the solemn weight and significance of the consecrated bread and wine beyond the chalices and bowls that are set on them.

The inherent timber frame appearance of mission style certainly provide the support for the "weight" that will be placed on it at every mass. But IMHO the top has to be thicker than a table top in order to look like an altar.

Cheers and congratulations on the commission.