Is this worth a 90 mile r/t to see

for a hundred dollars and if yu havne got any one of those tools yup.. the band saw and jig saw both plus the lathe break it down to 33 dollars each,, what can yu buy for 33 dollars thats not half plastic these days???? go get it before someone else does..scrap price would almost be that much:) but call and make sure they are still there!!!!! good luck and let us know how yu did.. now go use the phone:)

From the looks of the pics, the lathe would probably need a tool rest and banjo for woodturning. It looks like a tool carrier/holder from some type of metal lathe on it in the pics. I'd be curious to know what Morse taper it has (#1 or #2) and what the spindle thread size is. If it's an oddball size, it could make it more difficult to find workable accessories like chucks and faceplates. It could probably be fixed up into a decent spindle-turning machine, but if you're shooting to turn bowls, it's probably going to leave you wanting more. However, with three or four new buffing wheels and some all-thread, it'd probably make a killer buffing station for $100. Like larry said, the scrap price is probably close to $100 for the two saws and the lathe. (I know nothing about scrool saws, so no advice on those two.)

For the low price, looks worthwhile to me. If you get that heavy duty scroll saw working, you would have a real deal.
Bet you could clean up the other items and resell at a small profit.
90 mile round trip isn't bad.

This lathe is a Delta double duty lathe manufactured in the 30's & has the ability to turn both inboard & outboard of the head & has a #2 taper it has bearings like the rear wheel drive cars has in the front end. It is set up for oil to be dribbled in from a flap covered opening. If you get it take it apart & clean & check the bearings & pack them with high temp wheel bearing grease & it should do just fine.

Mine came with a banjo & large & small tool rest as well as a large & small face plate. One of the face plates should have both left & right hand threads to fit both inboard & out board on the arbor.

It looks like someone adapted it to a machine lathe crossfeed & tool holder but it should be reversable.

This is a pic of my lathe.

Attachments

• Turning 39.jpg
    Turning 39.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Bart's right, it's Delta double duty, 10" swing IIRC with a 1"X8TPI spindle with a MT2 taper. It's a decent little lathe for smaller stuff. The older ones had sleeved bearings needing oil as Bart explained, newer models came with ball bearings. A traditional banjo came with the lathe, it might still be around though they show up on ebay quite often if it's missing. The cross slide is a Delta original made as an extra so folks could also do light metal turning. They go for up to $250 on ebay, the leg sets go for $100 or more...

I'd be all over that if it's still available even if all you want to do is clean it up and resell it or part it out.

Mike

Bart's right, it's Delta double duty, 10" swing IIRC with a 1"X8TPI spindle with a MT2 taper. It's a decent little lathe for smaller stuff. The older ones had sleeved bearings needing oil as Bart explained, newer models came with ball bearings.

Mike

Mike the newer ones came with needle bearings & the head has races installed for them to run on.

Attachments

• needle bearings.jpg
    needle bearings.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 14
Well he called back, so now I have a lot of rust to clean up now that I got it all back home.

Hey Bart, do you have the manual for your lathe. I found the 1935 catalog over on OWWM but would like to have the actual maintenance instructions. Also does yours have an extra pulley down below? This one has an additional pulley wheel although it is not in a standard configuration as in the catalog illustration.

It also came with a bunch of parts in four drawers in the table base, including a banjo and two different width rests.

Yes, I know, "NO PICTURES NO TOOL" I have to recuperate from the moving and hauling and then I will take pics of all the pieces and parts as I try to sort them out.

Anybody know where I can get that EvapoRust that has been mentioned about. I didn't see a list of Where To Buy locations on the web site.

Good score Roger and I would get that Evapo Rust from Harbor freight. I just used the stuff to clean up an old vice. When i see the price you can get a gallon for at harbor freight run run before they change the price. I paid two and half times that amount and its made in Canada.:D

Oh dont think the picture police are letting you off with all this advice without pictures.

Good score Roger and I would get that Evapo Rust from Harbor freight. I just used the stuff to clean up an old vice. When i see the price you can get a gallon for at harbor freight run run before they change the price. I paid two and half times that amount and its made in Canada.:D

Oh dont think the picture police are letting you off with all this advice without pictures.

I guess OUR HF store must be the only one with a higher price on the Evaporust, because when everyone was first talking about it here and mentioned the HF price per Gallon, I went to our store and the quoted price was exactly what was mentioned here, Buuuuuuuut, it was for only a Quart.:(