Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this worth a 90 mile r/t to see

Is this worth a 90 mile r/t to see

This is on Craigslist and I am curious if anyone thinks it is worth the time, travel, and price.

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/tls/1273124281.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VintageLathe1.jpg   VintageLathe2.jpg  
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

for a hundred dollars and if yu havne got any one of those tools yup.. the band saw and jig saw both plus the lathe break it down to 33 dollars each,, what can yu buy for 33 dollars thats not half plastic these days???? go get it before someone else does..scrap price would almost be that much but call and make sure they are still there!!!!! good luck and let us know how yu did.. now go use the phone
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

From the looks of the pics, the lathe would probably need a tool rest and banjo for woodturning. It looks like a tool carrier/holder from some type of metal lathe on it in the pics. I'd be curious to know what Morse taper it has (#1 or #2) and what the spindle thread size is. If it's an oddball size, it could make it more difficult to find workable accessories like chucks and faceplates. It could probably be fixed up into a decent spindle-turning machine, but if you're shooting to turn bowls, it's probably going to leave you wanting more. However, with three or four new buffing wheels and some all-thread, it'd probably make a killer buffing station for $100. Like larry said, the scrap price is probably close to $100 for the two saws and the lathe. (I know nothing about scrool saws, so no advice on those two.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

For the low price, looks worthwhile to me. If you get that heavy duty scroll saw working, you would have a real deal.
    Bet you could clean up the other items and resell at a small profit.
    90 mile round trip isn't bad.

This lathe is a Delta double duty lathe manufactured in the 30's & has the ability to turn both inboard & outboard of the head & has a #2 taper it has bearings like the rear wheel drive cars has in the front end. It is set up for oil to be dribbled in from a flap covered opening. If you get it take it apart & clean & check the bearings & pack them with high temp wheel bearing grease & it should do just fine.

Mine came with a banjo & large & small tool rest as well as a large & small face plate. One of the face plates should have both left & right hand threads to fit both inboard & out board on the arbor.

It looks like someone adapted it to a machine lathe crossfeed & tool holder but it should be reversable.

This is a pic of my lathe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turning 39.jpg  
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 07-16-2009 at 07:45 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Bart's right, it's Delta double duty, 10" swing IIRC with a 1"X8TPI spindle with a MT2 taper. It's a decent little lathe for smaller stuff. The older ones had sleeved bearings needing oil as Bart explained, newer models came with ball bearings. A traditional banjo came with the lathe, it might still be around though they show up on ebay quite often if it's missing. The cross slide is a Delta original made as an extra so folks could also do light metal turning. They go for up to $250 on ebay, the leg sets go for $100 or more...

I'd be all over that if it's still available even if all you want to do is clean it up and resell it or part it out.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin View Post
    Bart's right, it's Delta double duty, 10" swing IIRC with a 1"X8TPI spindle with a MT2 taper. It's a decent little lathe for smaller stuff. The older ones had sleeved bearings needing oil as Bart explained, newer models came with ball bearings.

Mike
    Mike the newer ones came with needle bearings & the head has races installed for them to run on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails needle bearings.jpg  
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Can't get a hold of the fellow. Had to leave a voice mail message.

I think he may have learned what he has, too!
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

Well he called back, so now I have a lot of rust to clean up now that I got it all back home.

Hey Bart, do you have the manual for your lathe. I found the 1935 catalog over on OWWM but would like to have the actual maintenance instructions. Also does yours have an extra pulley down below? This one has an additional pulley wheel although it is not in a standard configuration as in the catalog illustration.

It also came with a bunch of parts in four drawers in the table base, including a banjo and two different width rests.

Yes, I know, "NO PICTURES NO TOOL" I have to recuperate from the moving and hauling and then I will take pics of all the pieces and parts as I try to sort them out.

Anybody know where I can get that EvapoRust that has been mentioned about. I didn't see a list of Where To Buy locations on the web site.
    Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio

evapo rust is at woodcraft and lee valley tools
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!