Suggested Router?

Dan Thibert

I have a Skill Router that tends to not keep its height adustment while I am using it in the router table. I am guessing it is because it was not a very good one.
I am thinking of getting a second router just for the router table, any suggestions?
I do not want to spend alot, but I want quality.

Thanks
Dan

Not wanting to spend a lot, but get quality. Sounds like me!:rofl::rofl:

I was going to suggest that you look at the Triton 2 1/4 HP which is a good router for a table installation with built in above the table bit change and height adjustment. However, I just checked Woodcraft and Amazon and neither have it listed on their websites any more. What happened?:dunno::huh:

It's usually under $200 - Official Website

Last edited:
...Triton 2 1/4 HP ...I just checked Woodcraft and Amazon and neither have it listed on their websites any more. What happened?:dunno::huh:

I've heard that the Triton routers have been discontinued - or at least the importation of them has been. Don't know why.

I do know that one of my local dealers said they weren't carrying them any more due to support problems...

I have a Skill Router that tends to not keep its height adustment while I am using it in the router table. I am guessing it is because it was not a very good one.
I am thinking of getting a second router just for the router table, any suggestions?
I do not want to spend alot, but I want quality.

Thanks
Dan

Dan,
If it's slipping in it's mount, you might try roughing up the inside of the mount, and the mating surfaces on the router body with some 60 or 80 grit sandpaper. Also, make sure there's no oil or wax present on either surface.

Maybe that'll cure it.

I have one Bosch trim router - a very old one - that I did that to, and it's been working well for several years. The original owner gave me that router because it suffered the same problem you described.

Milwaukee fan here. 5616 would do ya. I run a 5625 but they're a bit more. Both come with T-handles for above the table adjustment. Both have soft start, electronic feedback controlled torque and variable speed.

Thanks for everyones help, I ordered the Millwakee router since my wife is visiting our son in LA and not around to tell me I can't :rofl:

Does anyone have a couch I can sleep on :eek:

Thanks
Dan

remember dan, there will be 3 prices you'll pay for that router, the price you did pay, the price you tell the wife you paid, and the price you'll pay when she finds out how much you really paid.... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

remember dan, there will be 3 prices you'll pay for that router, the price you did pay, the price you tell the wife you paid, and the price you'll pay when she finds out how much you really paid.... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Remember if you tell her a low price instead of the real price & if you should precede her in death & she sells it for 50% less then you told her you paid for all your tools she won't have much to live on. In fact she may just have to give your tools away.:rofl:

In fact you just tell you wife I'll help her price mark all your tools when the time comes.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
I have this way of breaking tool purchases to the little woman:

Dan: Honey I needed to buy a new router

Wife: Not another tool you are going to put us in the poor house

Dan: I really needed it and it will make me "safer" (always pull the safety card)

Wife: how much did it cost

Dan: would you believe it cost $600

Wife: :eek:

Dan: but I ONLY spent $185 :D

................................................................................................

disclaimer - This does not always work

:rofl: