Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New Shop

New Shop

Well, after planning this for a year my shop is finally fixing to happen. It started with I didn't want to build a shop at a house that my wife and I wouldn't stay at for at least 10 years. Since January we've listed/sold our house, moved, found out we couldn't build the shop where we wanted, applied for and got a zoning variance, and now getting quotes for the shop. I even got a picture of the stakes in the ground

The shop's going to be 22' x 26' and I'm going to install a 3hp cyclone and duct work to get it started. Since I'm out of work right now, doing some digging on ductwork and the DC. Looking at the grizzly and oneida, not sure if there's some other good 3hp cyclone models to look at?

Also ducting, i can't afford the fancy ducting like grizzly/woodcraft sells. The snaplock furnace ducting at Home Depot looks very affordable. Are there any downsides to that versus PVC, or any better suppliers for furnace ducting/PVC? I'm looking at about 28' of ducting, 2 Y's, 3 90's in at least 6" ducting, with blast gates and 4" reducers with around a $500 max budget. I'd like to squeeze 3 more Y's and gates in too so I don't have to unhook hoses, but they can come later if they don't meet the budget.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RE_0002.jpg  

New shop build Congrats on that Jeb and will follow the build with envy

I'll post pictures as they come in. I hope to get construction started mid December. That way it'll be ready around the time my hand recovers enough to move in!

if yu were closer i got some of the high dollar ducting yu could have but i am not headed to alabama any time soon i used pvc with no trouble, but the home depot stuff in 22gauge is fine for a hobby setup.. also take a look at clearvue cyclones,, good company..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I'm leaning towards the 3hp cyclone from grizzly. After looking at the clearvue, grizzly, oneida, etc the motor amp draw for the 3hp grizzley is 22 amps, and the 5hp is 22.4 amps. Most 3hp motors draw more like 15 amps and 5hp motors run 22-30 amps. Does that mean they put an oversize motor on it, maybe for commonality of parts, or so they can outperform other 3hp DC?? Anyone else got any thoughts on this, or know why this would be the case?

Ducting - found pricing on S&D 6" pvc lower than what I originally thought and the 6" snap lock ducting is 30 gauge, by the time I buy 26 gauge it's more expensive. So I think the 6" pvc with home made blast gates will probably be the way I go. I've seen several plans online for making single gates. I was thinking (dreaming?) of a 6" drop into a plywood box. The box would have 2x 4" hoses on the left and a 4" and 2.5" hose on the right with gates to close either side. These will feed the bandsaw and router table. Anyone got any thoughts on this, problems i might have other than sealing the gates? Seen any plans like this already?

The dust collector i want has a 7" ro 8" outlet and I'll be adapting to 6" PVC. Is there any problem just making a bushing out of plywood and tightening an 8" hose clamp to the outside?

Another dust collector question if anyone reads this. I can't think of any reason for a 1 man shop to have different size main and branch lines. All the air should be coming from any 1 machine at one time, and you don't want to velocity to slow down half way to the DC.

I understand if it is a comercial shop that could be using 2 branches at once, you would want a bigger main line with small branches. It just doesn't make sense that I can think of for 1 person.

So am I missing something here? All the manufacturers diagrams I look at drop down in size from the main line to the branches.

i have seen some of the homemade shutoffs and they work well jeb,,as for the single size, i went from 6 to 4 at the machine, but right at the machine not a ways off. so basically i had all 6" then transitioned it into a 8" inlet on the fan.
    actually if yu can get ahold of some old used shutoffs they may work on the pvc as well. some versions are attached outside..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Yeah that's about what I was leaning towards, 6" close to the tools, flex as needed to match the tool ports. I was refering to system drawings I've seen with 8" main lines and 6" branches. I was thinking the 8" main woudln't really do much for me using 1 machine at a time. Cost a lot more to put that in too.

The reason they do that Jeb is to get thre required cfm at that particular machine and no more. That leaves more cfm for another branch but you also need to leave some of those branches open so you don't starev the dust collector for air.

I built the Bill Pentz design and am using the 16" impeller with the 5 hp motor. With 3 gates open I draw 18 amps. All of my machines have 6" ductwork going to them and I can use 3 at a time. I have about 7 feet of 8" main that reduces to 6" after the first split. All my blast ggates are home made. I posted a thread on building and installing my cyclone and ductwork last year.

Grizzly 3hp... Yes !

Check out my cyclone stuff on my website. http://mysaw.com/shop/

Lowes carries the 6" PVC. It is NOT cheap !!

Look at making your own blast gates. Do the pricing.

My whole cyclone buildout was about 2 1/2 years!! But I like the way it turned out.

Keep the pictures coming.