Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage/shop rearrangement

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Somehow I just don't see it being able to handle 4 x 8 sheets.
    Attachment 34756
    Nope, I was thinking more along the lines of a ladder rack. It would be a one of a kind for sure.

well allen be glad that she is close by yet and wil do things for you like that,, they dont always stay close and dont want to give any help either.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I had to fight with my wife to take a trip without me so she can visit people out of state. My daughter thinks I cant survive without my wife around.
    I cant wait till tomorrow night when I get home from work and noone is around to tell me I cant go out and make sawdust.
    Im racking my brain trying to figure out where Id put a lathe on a stand, Id hate to have to move the bandsaw from its new home.(Grizzly is having a free shipping deal, its very tempting)

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    Im racking my brain trying to figure out where Id put a lathe on a stand, Id hate to have to move the bandsaw from its new home.(Grizzly is having a free shipping deal, its very tempting)
    How about southern California? If its that far away you might not be tempted.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    Soon to have a web presence! www.reynoldswoodcraft.com (under construction - a long way from done)

very unexciting flatwork.

I thought Id get to hanging the folding shelf Im going to use for the left side sliding mitre today, but had no assistance and its something I wont be able to do by myself.
    Although incredible heat and humidity today, like a fool, I devoted the day to the Tom Clark style shop cabinet Im putting under my new work bench.
    The only things I did a bit different from Mr. Clarks build(besides not build it as good as Mr. Clark), I added castors, and did not lay out the pieces side by side to mark drawer slides, I made spacers for each one. They all seem to line up fine.
    After I attached the face frame and back, I measured corners for squareness, and all seemed good. All the pieces were cut together and it all fit nicely.
    when I finally finished and added the castors, the level showed off a bit, but I laid it on the floor, and the floor is off also over there.
    Tomorrow, I will begin my nightmare, drawers, something I just cant seem to ever get right. Heres some pics of the build and progress.
    Again, thankyou kindly Mr. Clark, ideas with pictures are just fantastic for us woodworking impaired.

*its not that big since I want to roll it under the work bench, and also need to have room to roll an 18x20 top mobile router table.
    I had half a sheet of sapele ply left, and assorted sizes of birch ply, so instead of buying plywood, I just used it. Half a sheet of sapele costs around 65 bucks, oak ply for a full sheet is 50, so I didnt feel like spending additional dough. I dont think Ill worry so much about plugging nail holes and such, or finishing as per Mr. Clarks cabinets. Im a slob and Im sure this surface will be all marred up and stained within months.Hardware used for assembly, 1.25 inch and 2 inch PC brads, 16 5/16 lag screws for castors, and 22 inch slides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 1054 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1056 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1057 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1058 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1060 (Medium).jpg  

wood stuff 1061 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1064 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 1066 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 07-26-2009 at 09:14 PM.

Amazin' Allen strikes again! You continue to serve as inspiration to all of us!
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    Soon to have a web presence! www.reynoldswoodcraft.com (under construction - a long way from done)

Nice job Allen Those are something on my to do list for the shop. Ya realize that that cabinet just might convince the Misses that "HEY ALLEN, YOU CAN BUILD CABINETS" so whens that kitchen going to be built

I didnt make a mistake(at least I believe) with the castors this time.
    Cant wait to see how they handle weight.
    I can push the framework around with a pinky.

Cool cabinets Allen. I built a set of those before i moved into my shop, just to get the stuff i had off the floors.

Wish i had seen your build first though cause you did something that i did not. I fitted the rails for the draws last and boy what a pain. Got them all over the place. Should have done what you did.

Anyhow I did the same as far as using up ply but mine was nowhere near as good a ply as yours.

What i really like is the wheels. Did you get those at HD. They look like heavy duty polyeurethane type?

How high is your cabinet with those wheels on. What you using on the top?

Its a real neat design that Tom Clark has given us. Nice and easy to build. I still have to finish my draw fronts and put handles on.

Good going Allen.
    Rob .....Alias John Wayne now Pasquinell da trapper.

"forget the apples slap some bacon on a biscuit and lets go...

We're burning daylight"

From what I read online, the urethane castors work well on uneven cement floors and work ok over small obstacles.
    I think I paid 8 or 9 bucks each from a hardware site. I dont recall the site at this moment.
    Im going to put a 3/4 inch piece of plywood on top with 1/4 inch masonite.
    Im going to build a torsion box(I believe its called) out of 2x3s with a larger surface area, to clamp down on the rolling table if I need to build something big and want to be able to move it around.
    The cabinet will have a total height of around 32 inches with top.
    Ill use it for the planer also when necessary.

I jointed 2 edges on all the plywood today so I had very straight edges to work with. Im not sure if jointing plywood is a good idea, but I can no longer handle large sheets and even breaking them down for me alone is becoming a small problem. I dont get straight cuts, so jointing what I had gave me good sharp edges and angles to get very accurate measurement.
    I never have luck with drawers, I dont know why, but IM going to take my time tomorrow and build one simple draw, butt joints with brads(I will not round over any edges), I need to set up the router and trim the face frame flush on the outside. (not extremely important either, but I will do it.)