Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142

Thread: Garage/shop rearrangement

I have motion sensitive lights all over outside, and 4 security cameras that I can access from anywhere.
    My NN is home 90% of the time, as they never go away or out much, so thats a good security system for me.(I was told by the previous owner at my closing 25 years ago, youll never be robbed, the NN is always watching, works out for me now)
    Im pretty sure if a criminal wants to break in, nothing will stop them, but the cameras and lights and alarms will be a deterent for some local moron who is looking to make a quick grab what he can and run.
    Human Test Dummy

so I was thinking about going to the show over in brooklyn today or tomorrow(hand tool show), but the weatherman promised temps at 50 today and tomorrow, so these are gift days in January for me, decided to finally clean out the 40 bins and 8 cartons of junk and junk hardware.
    a few things I discovered. first, I have enough plastic cable ties to go to Brents house and back to mine, second, I have a nice collection of castors, and third, and most important, when reaching into junk filled cartons, utility knife blades hurt. Alot. I had one jammed inside a castor, and when I grabbed the castor, I sliced open one of my fingers.

Its nice to have everything put somewhere, even if its not 100% sorted out, I now know where to find it.
    Emptied a ton of drawers, nothing to put in them now.

Got my clamps in a better spot,they were behind bandsaw and always tuff to get them out, even able to hang up the 84 inch jets.

got the radio back up, but broke the alarm receiver on the door, so Im waiting for the alarm guy(my buddy) to come over and hook me up again.

Ill spend the rest of the day schlepping all the junk up on top, heaters, supplies, extra towels/rags, etc.....back down and tomorrow I will tackle the shed, and move everything into it in a neat and organized mess.

the hardware junk drawer shows all the junk stuff I cant let go of. I know one day Ill look for something and Ill have it.

my kids bought me this calculator last year as a joke gift, making fun of how I cant see anything small, but with some velcro tape its now in a great spot and easy to use and I never have to look for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cabinet 163 (Medium).jpg   cabinet 164 (Medium).jpg   cabinet 165 (Medium).jpg   cabinet 167 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 01-06-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    Human Test Dummy

Love the daily parts check list Allen!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

its 60 degrees here today, total insanity. Its january 7th.
    I made shelves in the shed, hung up all the outdoor tools out there, and Im going to stop rearranging stuff now.
    I wanted all the mixed up boxes sorted, and thats done. I dont need any shelf space, so I dont have to empty whats in the shop now, and half the loft in the shop is completely empty, so Ill use it for shorts in the future.
    By monday, Ill be back making sawdust.
    The cooperating weather really helped me move along.
    Human Test Dummy

I hated having the dust collector hoses weaving under the table, blocking my walking area to the door, so I finally decided to dedicate a shop vac to the mitre. I purchased an Ivac(I think thats what its called) power box, so I hit the mitre, the shop vac goes on, delays 7 seconds, ok, no biggie, Im always way behind on this stuff.

Now, I dont care what anyone posts, I find it close to impossible to expect anything more than 70% dust collection at their mitre. If they build an elaborate hood(I finally figured out a design, but ofcourse, I dont have the space so I cant do it), with proper ducting underneath, gravity will get 90% of the dust into the collector.

I used what I had, and trust me, it isnt pretty, but its a little more effective.
    I do mostly cross cuts, not many angles, so thats what I concentrated on.
    I bent some sheet metal again, made the backboard larger, and enlarged the hole in the back of the mitre table.
    Using the shop vac, the lines are only 1.5 inches wide. If a piece of wood shot into the hole, it would likely jam the vacuum.
    I used some rebar, at least thats what I think it is, like chicken fence, but alot smaller holes, but perfect to prevent small pieces of wood from going in.
    I couldnt find a 1 inch plastic y, so I used a T for now.
    One line into the machine, as they intended at their narrow narrow dust port, the scoop under the machine.
    Well, its not perfect, but Im going to have to settle for it until I can get a larger shop where I can make a much larger hood that goes well below the table so I can get better collection.
    like I said, not pretty, but working.

I cannot get any pictures to upload. Im not sure whats happenning, but Ive uploaded hundreds of pictures here, I think something is wrong today.there is an exclamation point after I hit upload, and its stating uploading failed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cabinet 242 (Medium).jpg   cabinet 241 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 03-25-2012 at 05:43 PM.
    Human Test Dummy

"I used some rebar, at least thats what I think it is, like chicken fence, but alot smaller holes, but perfect to prevent small pieces of wood from going in."

It's whats call expanded metal.

I dream of a funnel shaped DC catcher with a high back side for behind the saw & with 4" gate at the bottom. Chips & dust shoot out against the high back & slide to the bottom & the rest just drops down & slides the the bottom.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Looks like a pretty good solution
    So mote it be,