Garage/shop rearrangement

freak accidents do happen, and I wonder if insurance companies keep statistics on this one-

I finally got 2 hours today and enough drive to go into the shop and put a little order back into it.
I had taken a ton of tools and my compressor over to my sons last week and have not put anything away, so today was the day.

I have many large rolling carts parked in the shop now, and a couple of small ones all filled with junk I had laying in the sheds, including my big snow thrower sitting in the middle of the shop.(the new shed should be here within 2-3 weeks)
Its hard to move around without taking everything outside.
Today, I didnt feel like taking it all out and then all back in since I knew my work time was limited and I only wanted to clean up and put everything away.

My bar clamps are stored above my head in some strong screw in hooks.
I have the 6 footers in one set, and the 3-4 footers in another set.

I put my compressor back up top, attached the hoses,and when I was reeling it up quickly, (I use a stick from the ground and reach overhead, works great)
the handle, the little handle that I keep on the end to blow dust off things, got caught on a pipe, tipped it out of the hooks, and the pipe landed on top of a cart that I had a bunch of metal sticks(the kind that hold bags of chips on a hotdog cart)that I kept from my store. The bar clamp flipped one of the metal sticks directly into my face and it smashed against my glasses.(safety glasses I wear while working)
I got a little scratch, but would have probably had some bad eye problems if not for the glasses.
freeky deeky thing. What flipped the metal stick like a rocket at my face was that they are sitting/resting on top of seat cushions and the ends flipped up where the bar hit. Like I said, freeky deeky. That shop is trying to get me continously.

Wow Allen you have all the fun :D

For me the lights go on, then the safety glasses, then the apron, as once I went to put my apron on and flipped the straps back to tie up, the end of one strap hit me right in the eye, hurt like you imagine it did :doh: Now the lights, then the safety glasses :thumb:

my wife wanted to know how I scratched my cheek, so I showed her, the camera was in there because I wanted to show my son the bar sign I made him today.
this is what Im dealing with every day until the shed gets here, I cant leave the stuff outside, it it rains, its all done.
doesnt everyone have pillows, folding picnic tables and potato chip bag holders in the middle of their shop?

Attachments

• kitchen makeover 021 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen makeover 021 (Medium).jpg
    65 KB · Views: 47
Im getting the shed aug 2nd, so Ill finally, be able to open up space and Im thinking of moving the tablesaw and dust collector to the other side once I remove some lumber storage and possibly wont have to make it mobile anymore, will be able to keep the tablesaw planted in one spot.

Allen your doing OK it looks like its all gradually coming together for you. The thread has been fun to follow. Accept some parts that make me want to visit your NN while riding a D7 Caterpillar. I noticed you've had 17,147 views I hope this has given some of the viewers a few ideas.

I have some great plans with the large shed, and getting the 22/44 out of the garage into the shed along with lumber, will really open up comfortable assembly space for me. Im looking foward to getting it done.

holy sizzlin bacon batman! its hot out there baby!

I had to wait for my wife to give me the morning how are you call around 9 this morning, listen to her tell me how the home infusion nurse spoke with her and the service yesterday after my 3 day infusion and they discussed how I shouldnt attempt to even walk outside the next few days. I find it adorable how other people decide whats best for me.
I had already turned on the AC in the garage and moved all the carts out so I could work on the buffet tables Im building for next weekends party, for my sil. I yessed honey her a few times and hung up. She caught me at 12:30 with a suprise 10 minute visit during her lunch. Busted, but I got to stay out there till 1 without flak. I promised tomorrow Im only cutting the plywood sheet down for the tables, nothing else.
I cut and made the 5 sets of 2x4s legs for the tables.
then I was going to clean up but while sorting through the what do I keep pile and what do I give away for kindling pile, I came across those old raised panels I had made for my sons guest room bed, the ones I didnt use.
I looked at them....hmmmmmm, so I made a mail box out of them, a twisted piece of walnut I planed and jointed, and some white oak(got plenty of narrow white oak scraps), and I used a new wooden knob, but I have plenty of those.
Pocket screws, 2.5 hours time, I rubbed on a coat of waterlox, Ill rub on a few more coats, then coat it a few times with spar urethane. I might hang it outside my house instead of giving it away.

I now have a list of furniture builds starting to back up since Im going to tackle the guest bedroom in my house after I build the shelves for my sons bar.

Attachments

• kitchen makeover 025 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen makeover 025 (Medium).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 39
  • kitchen makeover 026 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen makeover 026 (Medium).jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 36
theres reasons to stop storing things and sorting it all out-

Id guess around 3.5 to 4 years ago, before I ever used hardwoods, I purchased a pack of dewalt countersink bits with countersinks. A 3 pack.
It was purchased from amazon along with a few other things.
I remember going into the garage, putting them on my workbench and when I went out the next morning to use them, they were gone.
I pulled out drawers, moved tables, checked trash, went through bins, never found them and it drove me batty for a week. Nothing dissappears like that.

I have 2 plastic bins filled with painting stuff. brushes, jars, putty knives, pans, just alot of stuff. And Ive been in the bin many times over the years for brushes and stuff.
I had to load up the garage today with everything in my yard/driveway since no shed, and Im painting half the driveway tomorrow.(I hope)
I was pushing in one cart, and knocked over 2 bins off the big cart I made, one of them was a painting supply bin. Seems the bits slid down the side of the bin, and underneath some old paper/plastic dropcloths I had still in plastic wrapper on the bottom of the bin. I dont know how the bits slid underneath them, but I found them today when the bin was upside down.

The shed cant come soon enough, Im going through everything before I set up shop this time.

one hour 2 minutes for assembly

the 3 man crew arrived at 2:25, I said hello let me show you where its going.
One of the guys ripped the plastic off the skid at 2:29, at 3:31 the crew chief was handing me the bill and paperwork and asked if I wanted the extra roofing shingles.
Unpacked, assembled and yard cleaned in one hour 2 minutes.
I dont think these guys spoke more than 4 sentences with each other,(when I brought out sodas they discussed who wanted what brand) they all seemed to know their task and it was non stop motion.
It was quite a building experience for me, Ive never seen anything like it.
Even my contractor and his man were impressed with the fluidity of motion *and quality of the product in the end.

When it was over, the building inspector came out to make sure everything was done up to her standards.

*the youngest one climbed up on the walls and nailed on the roofing boards, and before he triggered the last nail the other guy was handing him the next gun for the roofing nails, and within 15 seconds the other guy was back from the van with 4 coils of roofing nails just laying them up on the edge of the roof. No talking. All 3 were doing seperate tasks at once, handing each other pieces without speaking, like they knew the exact second the other guy was ready to be passed something.

Attachments

• kitchen makeover 040 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen makeover 040 (Medium).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 50
  • kitchen makeover 041 (Medium).jpg
    kitchen makeover 041 (Medium).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Looks like it will come in handy. Surprised they didn't make you attach it to the garage. Last time I was going to build a garage, I couldn't without tearing down the old shed first. The city had a limit on the number of out-buildings (1) you could have. My last housing edition had several sheds like that screwed to the back of their garages. The covenants said no out-buildings, but you could have an attached shed of built of like materials, so the guys were backing those right up to the house and attaching them with 1 or two screws to get around it. ;) :)

I really enjoy watching a person (or people) do things in a smooth efficient way. Your post took my mind back to when they were building a JC Penny building with 8 x 8 x 16 cement blocks. Those workers were poetry in motion.

With a plaid mailbox like that, you will have to change your name to McTavish, McGreggor or Glendening (house of Glendowen).

Aside: Would you believe my Scottish wife (Glendening) absolutely hates bag-pipe music.

I'm glad you got the shed. I sure do enjoy mine and I know Glenn enjoys his. He has a posted list that says what is in every box and the location of the box. That way he does not have to hunt for anything.

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
Looks like it will come in handy. Surprised they didn't make you attach it to the garage. Last time I was going to build a garage, I couldn't without tearing down the old shed first. The city had a limit on the number of out-buildings (1) you could have. My last housing edition had several sheds like that screwed to the back of their garages. The covenants said no out-buildings, but you could have an attached shed of built of like materials, so the guys were backing those right up to the house and attaching them with 1 or two screws to get around it. ;) :)

my local codes allow one shed if you have a garage also, and it must be 100 sf or less. Height is restricted to something like 8 feet or 8 feet one inch.
2 sheds are not allowed,over 100 sf must get a CO, thats why when I built that small shed for my snow blower, I made it a dog house because there are no village codes for doghouse sizes.

Mr. Bradley, Ive seen pics of the inside of Glenns shed. Mine will never be that organized. Ever.

Good luck with the shed Allen. Boy they sure were fast and efficient.

I think there is merits in thinking about Glenns approach. Beats hauling everything out to find something each time. ;)