Garage/shop rearrangement

allen levine

Garage/shop rearrangement-FINAL REARRANGEMENT, FOREVER

Mostly for convenience, but also for my safety.
Having large machines immobile besides my main TS, have become troublesome for me.
I have tripped accidently twice the past month, and its mostly do to the small area and grouping of machines, the mitre stand always blocking the entrance, etc.
As mentioned, my eyes dont function the correct way anymore, I can see fine, but when the muscles tire, the peripheral vision stinks, and I spend so much time concentrating on my vision, seems I dont see below or to the sides well.
Anyway, as everything else in life, its just a small obstacle that I will live with and setting my shop up accordingly is a must, right now.
First, I removed any cabinets that were in an area I needed for something else.
Not much in those cabinets anyway. The cabinets along the front wall on right were taken out, I built a lumber rack up to the roof.
The lumber rack on the left side is now gone.
I moved the bandsaw all the way to the front left corner, where it will be easy to run dust collection lines, and only roll the saw out a couple of feet if Im resawing longer boards.
I purchased a lift table on sale at harbor freight, I keep the planer on it, so I can move it to center of garage when I need it and wont have to lift it up anymore, the lift table will lift it to table height, then Ill just slide it over, like a sick patient from gurney to bed.
I will park the lift table next to the bandsaw, underneath a folding shelf I will use for the new left extension of the new sliding mitre, Makita, 10 inch.
The sliding mitre will be at same level as the new work bench will be, the mitre to the left of the bench. Permanent position. I was going to build a mobile base stand with fold down wings, but the mitre in that position along the left wall will be another easy dust collection hookup for me.
I removed the tall narrow tool cabinet next to the old work bench, so I can make the work bench a bit wider,(and deeper), and still have adequate room for the sliding mitre.
I will then build a new sub table,(on strong castors) under the work table, that will house several drawers to hold most of the electric handheld tools, and the small wrenches and screwdrivers, etc.I will also put a small wood vise on the portable work table since Im sick and tired of trying to figure out ways to clamp down wood on its edge when I need to plane a bit.(or need to hold something to chisel out a bit)
The rolling sub table will not be as wide as the work table, I will leave enough to put in a new rolling router table. I will be purchasing a Porter Cable router for this table, but this is last on my list.
The jointer will stay on the far wall in the back, as it was, the compressor will be put on a small cart, Im building that this weekend, using the plywood from the cabinets and rolling table I have now, that Im going to dissassemble.
Im going to use the 2.5 inch castors I have on the rolling table now, for the air compressor cart. I purchased 5 inch urethane red rollers for the new rolling table.
I also purchased(at harbor freight), and pneumatic hose reel to keep the hose neat and in place because it has become a hazard for me not seeing it and knowing its a accident waiting to happen.

Ive put some planning into this.

Last edited:
I believe I covered everything. Oh, when I first got the pancake compressor, I used an old kiddie wagon to roll it around on, then put it in the back of the garage.
The wagon rotted away in the yard. I checked the tires, they are fine, sprayed some lubricant on the wheels, built a plywood frame/box, out of the wood I saved from the ripped out cabinets,and made a scraps bin, a rolling bin, something else so I can move it out of the way when I begin each day, or park it out of my way.
Too much scraps, too many bins, too many hazards for me.
The old redwood and cedar scraps, pressure treated, I finally had to part with.
It wasnt really usable, not for furniture, maybe to make plate holders or napkin holders, but I dont think Id get around to it anytime in the future.
The walls where I had all the scraps stored, in between the studs, will now house 4 inch shelves and hold all the hardware and spray, cans, glues, whatever I had stored in the cabinets I tossed.(much more space withthe small shelves, I must utilize every sq inch)

some pictures of where I am right now, I didnt get much done today, besides ripping out the tool cabinet, I purchased the mitre saw, I needed to take a break from the shop this week. I have chased out all the spiders, and some of them were not too thrilled I gave a good clean up.
As I worked, I ran the dust collector with a few open hose ends, just to clean as much air as I could since I really kicked up old dust today when I got down to the studs and base.

makita mitre saw note-I am holding up the left fence and how it flips over.
The right fence is not the same height, and I was a bit ticked off that the high right fence is an accessory, and runs 29 bucks. I got it for 15, but it didnt make me much happier. Makita should throw it in.
I went with Makita, it was that or Hitachi. both have the most stable sliders, the double bar, but I believe while I was comparing them, Im pretty sure Makita has more ball bearings. Both got good reviews, both designed well.
I havent used it yet, but theres a smooth turn on, and if Makita would like a review, I can tell them where to send my check, I do not promote any product unless it performs like a master in the hands of a amateur like myself.
Btw, the 99 dollar Ryobi mitre Ive used for almost 3 years, kudos to Ryobi.
The machine was used as much as a commercial shop, and still performs top notch, I just wanted the option of cutting 12 inches at 90 degrees.
The stand will not be used and I will put both away and just hold on as back up.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1022 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1022 (Medium).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,040
  • wood stuff 1033 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1033 (Medium).jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 721
  • wood stuff 1032 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1032 (Medium).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 735
  • wood stuff 1031 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1031 (Medium).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 782
  • wood stuff 1030 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1030 (Medium).jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 825
  • wood stuff 1028 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1028 (Medium).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 907
  • wood stuff 1026 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1026 (Medium).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 905
  • wood stuff 1025 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1025 (Medium).jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 954
  • wood stuff 1024 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1024 (Medium).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 965
last pictures, the compressor as I said will be on a mobile cart this weekend.
sorry about the long post, wanted to include everything I planned out.
I have not yet ordered any dust collection additions.
I might go with some type of metal ducting for the main ductwork along the walls.

Ive been watching and waiting for used sliding mitres, there arent many, and Ive never seen a makita or hitachi used for a decent price.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1023 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1023 (Medium).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 456
  • wood stuff 1027 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1027 (Medium).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
almost forgot one of the better upgrades:

My son has had this old dell laptop for a while.

Its around 6 years old, not in use but he formatted it for me, cleaned it up, put sketchup on it, and I liberated these sliding brackets from the dumpster years ago, used on some type of computer equipment, cabinets that slide in, I have a few sets of them, going to install a sliding laptop holder shelf under the top of the rolling table, and have a shop computer.
My wife says all I need is a toilet and a bed and I never have to come inside anymore.
I told her Id need airconditioning and a fridge if she wants me out of her hair completely.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1035 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1035 (Medium).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 324
  • wood stuff 1037 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1037 (Medium).jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Hey Allen it must be something in the air right now. :) I just performed the exact same excercise last weekend. Even though i built myself a dedicated shop, i started to tackle projects (motivated by this forum) before i had fully organized my shop. Foud myself falling and tripping over all sorts and it was getting to be a tight sqeeze just to move around. I too said enough especially when you get reminded of the hazards when someone here posts an accident.

Good for you on the clean up. Hey as for aircon keep an eye out for specials. I picked up an 8000 BTU unit from the HD for $100 Canadian.
When it gets to August they start to look at clearing stock.

Like your wood rack thats my project for this weekend if i can get to the shop. Then i can get back to finishing my bench now that the clutter is out the way.:rofl::thumb:

Great looking saw you just bought. What made you want the 12" cutting. I found I actually want to sell my DeWalt slider because its too big. But I think your Makita can have the sliders all the way in and still be used as a chop saw correct? So its does not have to take up the full width to be able to be used for narrow wood. Is that right?

Good luck with the clean up.:):thumb:

Hey Allen it must be something in the air right now. :) I just performed the exact same excercise last weekend. Even though i built myself a dedicated shop, i started to tackle projects (motivated by this forum) before i had fully organized my shop. Foud myself falling and tripping over all sorts and it was getting to be a tight sqeeze just to move around. I too said enough especially when you get reminded of the hazards when someone here posts an accident.
Oh sure, blame us! :eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

no lack of work here, not that I make a living doing it.
Ive planned enough projects to keep me busy forever.

I just needed to prepare the shop in a way that makes my life a bit easier, more productive. everytime I have to move this or that, then move it back, then back again, Im spending 40 % of my shop time moving things, and not cutting or building.and like Ive mentioned, hazards for me are unnacceptable at this point, the machines themselves offer me enough challenges, I dont need to trip over an air hose and crack my head open on the jointer(just missed last week)

Mine's about due for one of those, too. When it gets too cluttered to move around, it's time to de-kludge and reduce the size of the piles.

Just took care of mine when I had to make room for the cyclone. It's amazing at how much stuff you collect that you think you need only to find out you really have no use for it.

Just took care of mine when I had to make room for the cyclone. It's amazing at how much stuff you collect that you think you need only to find out you really have no use for it.

and I cant find what I know I bought most recently cause its buried a foot deep in cabinets under all the junk Ive saved for 15 years thinking one day Ill need that.
And when I need that, Ill never find it anyway, even though I stumble across it weekly, saying, yeah, one day Ill need this. Its just one big spiral out of control.:doh::dunno:

fun work!

nothing like putting in a new work bench.
As unfancy as it gets, just somewhere to assemble things.
Tomorrow I tackle the new mitre station next to the work table.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1038 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1038 (Medium).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 149
  • wood stuff 1039 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1039 (Medium).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 161
I could use a bit of direction here`

so I got the mitre table set up, first was a bit off, high, then short, and I didnt want to recut anymore dimensional lumber, so I left it.
I put some slivers of wood underneath the mitre saw to see how it evens out to the work bench, which will be the right side and support the boards Im cutting. Where can I get a bolt that will both hold the mitre in place, and be adjustable so I can tweak it to perfect height?
I can always use washers but Id rather get some type of adjustable bolt/screw/set.

I made sure the fold down shelf Im putting in for the left side of the mitre to hold wood, when folded down, it will clear the handle of the lift table that holds the planer underneath the mitre table for space and storage reasons.
I have not received the brackets yet, and I will make a dust hood for the mitre when a part comes also.

Now I will be able to access the garage from the door, over near the bandsaw, and will be able to possibly run heat in there in the winter if I choose to work. Just have to get my dust collection all secured.(Id probably never work the tablesaw without the main door open)

some pics of where Im at right now, gonna start the air compressor cart.

first pic is my baby, shes coated in saw dust, IM really neglecting her since I moved her out of her spot.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1046 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1046 (Medium).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 149
  • wood stuff 1045 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1045 (Medium).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 166
  • wood stuff 1044 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1044 (Medium).jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 150
  • wood stuff 1043 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1043 (Medium).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 151
  • wood stuff 1042 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1042 (Medium).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 158
  • wood stuff 1041 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1041 (Medium).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 164
  • wood stuff 1040 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1040 (Medium).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 174
first of all allen what is the baby i can see it some kind of car???? and as for your adjusting nut ,,what if yu drilled a hole threw yur bench where the saw is and used a t-nut like a nut with three teeth which has threads in it. they use them in furniture to hold stool seats on and such.. then yu could double nut the saw and just adjust it slightly to get where yu are wanting it to be

I used the really beat up old plywood, with all the holes and paint stains and copied a picture and built this stand/cart to move the air compressor around or at least have the mobility if needed.
Almost finished, just gonna put a small compartment under the handle to hold the brads/air hose connectors.
I might even sand it and use one of the old spray cans and put some new paint on it. It just looks too old and beat up.( I didnt have one piece of closet pole anywhere, and didnt feel like spinning a handle on the tablesaw, so I used one of the old broom stick handles for the handle)The main purpose of this cart was to keep the hoses rolled up when not in use so its not a tripping hazard for me. Mobile seemed the right way to go when hanging a hose reel.
Only got two things to build for the shop after this, the new rolling cabinet under the work bench, and a mobile router stand, saving the tough ones for last.
Gonna use the Tom Clark thread, and try to build something as nice as he did, or at least close. I can try at least.

Attachments

• wood stuff 1047 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1047 (Medium).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 137
  • wood stuff 1048 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1048 (Medium).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Driving isnt as much fun as it used to be for me with my eye problems, so it just sits on the driveway collecting sawdust. My son takes it out a bit now and then.
btw, it cooks at 110.